• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 08:17:12 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hop Rhizome

Started by Tom, January 23, 2013, 03:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

I have root cuttings, but theres no movement on them.
The balance of hops I need to hold on to, so fingers crossed I will have some next year.

Tom

JohnRM, check just below the surface of the soil for little white grubs. They nibble the roots and really slow down the growth. I've lost a few cuttings this winter to those feckers. They're bad. If you've some of last year's growth above soil level, give it a little pull, and if it feels loose you've got chafer beetle larvae. I've just spent the last hour on a search and destroy.

johnrm

You calling me names again Tom?
I pulled up my hops before season started, chopped and transplanted them holding on to the left-over roots.
I AM that grub  ;)

Tom

Of course, what I meant to say was "watch out for little JohnRMs, just below the soil"!

Good thinking there with digging the rhizomes up. Let me know how it affects the yield, if at all.

johnrm

Credit where credit is due  ;)
I have one rhizome bustling with activity in a pot in a polytunnel. One shoot is up to 1m already.
The rest (new arrivals) are pretty tame.

Cathal O D

Hey Tom. Probably wont be up at easter but maybe a weekend or two after that. Will let you know.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Tom

No problem Cathal, they'll still be here. Might even actually have some beer ready, but don't hold your breath for that one! ;)

bionut

Do you have any extra rhizomes yet?  :-[

bionut

I hope that the rhizomes are dead, not the whole plants :(