• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 16, 2024, 09:20:17 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Fridge affecting bottled beer?

Started by dcalnan, June 21, 2015, 11:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

Offer still stands on Pliny the Elder...

dcalnan

I was only able to get my hands on one bottle, I've a friend heading to California soon might ask him to bring some back. I'm also hoping the only bottle I have left in the keezer is ok, it's a 200 fathoms, hopefully the wax will stop any chance of ruining it. Don't worry I took it out yesterday. And I'm going to bleach everything inside it and find some better mold prevention.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: dcalnan on June 22, 2015, 03:34:44 PM
It's not my own beer is the problem but beer I've bought from the offie. Only had one bottle left in fridge so I'm going to keep my beer in a different fridge from now on.
It might sound simple but could it be your glassware? If glasses are stored stacked any condensation/dampness will create a smell which will come through on any beer. Have a good sniff of your glasses and dump any dodgy ones
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Taf

I really can't see how a smell in a fridge could affect the inside of a sealed bottle. Had a family function recently, and someone decided to precariously balance a tray of devilled eggs inside my kegerator, which promptly fell off, and weren't found by me until I came back from holidays. The stench was quite something, and stank out the whole shed if I just opened the door. It took me another week to actually clean it out, and in the meantime I drank several bottles of beer, and there was no taint to them at all.

LordEoin

Stop pooping in your bottling bucket.
And bring a bottle from a few different batches with the off flavor to the next meet so that we can taste them all and identify the common off-flavor.