• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:05 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

A good Irish Red

Started by DEMPSEY, July 06, 2017, 01:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr hoppy

Kind of like White Gypsy Ruby on nitro draft as well.

DEMPSEY

Quote from: mr hoppy on July 09, 2017, 12:52:34 PM
+1 on this. I drink this in J B Keane's bar in Listowel and it goes down well.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Keg

8 degrees sunburnt Irish Red is pretty good!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Callan86

I had a few pints of the Foxes Rock on draught a few months back, very good but then I'm partial to a red ale. Killany Red by Brehon Brewhouse is another decent tipple.

fatboy

Quote from: DEMPSEY on July 09, 2017, 05:21:32 PM
+2. Available in Phil Carroll's Clonmel

mick02

Quote from: fatboy on October 23, 2018, 04:26:32 PM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on July 09, 2017, 05:21:32 PM
+2. Available in Phil Carroll's Clonmel
That's some way to introduce yourself to the forum... Necromancing  a 15 month old thread on Red Ales of all things!

Welcome to the nhc @fatboy!
NHC Committee member

Pheeel

I'm not really a fan on red TBH but the Sillivans export is really good. It's 5.5% if I recall. Way better than any other red I've tried
Issues with your membership? PM me!

BrewDorg

Agree with that. Sullivan's export is the best red I've had in recent times. Fair bit better than the original.

meabhar

Now this is an interesting thread for me, as I went to school 200 yards from Lett's brewery in Enniscorthy.
I researched this and it appears there are quite different styles in France (Pelforth Breweries) and Coors in US with "George Killian" Irish Red. The brand was sold to them. I've had the French type often enough as I go to Brittany for holidays and generally bring back a 6-pack.
Is O'Hara's Red related to the "original" Lett's? Is the American or French closer to the the original Lett's? I think Lett's got out of brewing around the 1950's.

Why oh why can't someone in Ireland revive the brand?
Does anyone have a recipe close to it or which book does (I only possess Papazian's masterpieces) (I don't suppose any member remembers the actual brew).
Most hotels and bars still only have foreign brands, Guinness, or big brewery "real ale" brands, which are good enough but we do hate globalisation, don't we? (sorry if that's politics).

TheSumOfAllBeers

Gets tricky to recreate old Irish beers from defunct breweries. I don't think the brewing logs are as well kept as the equivalent logs in the uk, and many of the producers of malt and hops are probably gone too.

But it would be nice to recreate an original Irish red. I had Sullivan's once and liked it, and their approach to reproducing it was good if I recall

meabhar

Good, I haven't had Sullivan's Red yet, but O'Hara's I have and as I recall it's quite good.
So I'll try the Sullivan's.
The "George Killian's" (based GK Lett's red beer from Enniscorthy, historical) was also quite good - I've finished my last bottle recently.
I suppose the best would be to do a tasting, preferable community, of, let's say, these 3 and a few more, though I see there are at least 8 reds being produced in Ireland.
By the way, it seems "George Killian's" is claiming to be from the original recipe, whether that is true or not.
S

Callan86

White Gypsy Ruby is my "go to" pint when I want something sessionable, luckily it's available in Caribou and the Bierhaus in Galway. Sullivan's is a great pint too IMO, hopefully we'll start to see it more available nationally in 2019.

For our honeymoon in April we went on a Mediterranean cruise, which included a day trip to Florence. We went to an Irish bar there for some refreshment, and there was a Kilkenny Strong Ale at 6% abv on tap. I thought it was a smashing beer, not too much info online but from what I can find it seems to be limited to the Italian market only.

DEMPSEY

I have being tasting various Red ales recently and find that the Crafty Red ale in Lidl is my favorite.

phildo79

Quote from: BrewDorg on October 25, 2018, 10:40:53 AM
Agree with that. Sullivan's export is the best red I've had in recent times. Fair bit better than the original.

Wouldn't be difficult.

DEMPSEY

Resurrecting MY old thread here. decided to brew a red and decided to follow this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian%27s . I brewed an Irish Red Ale, lager style. Tastes great.