• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:14 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2019 Nationals

Started by beanstalk, March 02, 2019, 01:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanstalk

Entering three into this, still stuck on the coffee oatmeal stout. Its a high ABV (6.5%), too high for the Coffee Stout Category but I'm worried that if I enter it as foreign extra the high percentage of oats will let it down!

Tom

If the alcohol is hidden by the sweetness the judge simply won't know. If it's good, the alcohol should only dock you a couple of points, so you'd maybe do better in coffee stout. Which does it taste most like? Because coffee in a foreign extra is way off!
Not up to speed on the current style guidelines, but that's my used-to-be a judge two cents.

beanstalk

Thanks Tom, its coffee and chocolate mostly with smooth roasts, nice balance of bitter and sweet and very silky cus of the oats.

beanstalk

Also, I meant oatmeal stout category in the first post

Tom

If the alcohol isn't obvious, then it'll go fine in the oatmeal category. Like I say, judges don't get issued with gas spectograph thingys.

Tom

Anyone get any silverware?

Tom

*tumbleweed*

Will we go after the club cup?

beanstalk

I submitted a couple of beers, the oatmeal stout scored well and I got great feedback all round. Its a great opportunity. Have a session wheat beer just bottled, will bring to next meet

Ceedee

Same here, submitted an Oatmeal and it scored ok, but was let down on body, as it was a bit thin. The non-BJCP judge commented that there were large bubbles in the bottle, which I thought was a  strange comment as that would depend on how it was poured.

CH

Quote from: Ceedee on April 15, 2019, 11:15:35 AM
Same here, submitted an Oatmeal and it scored ok, but was let down on body, as it was a bit thin. The non-BJCP judge commented that there were large bubbles in the bottle, which I thought was a  strange comment as that would depend on how it was poured.

I'm gonna say something weird here and I'm not sure but there must be a chemical or taste reasoning that Prof. Davis will confirm, but force carbing or accelerated carbonation seems to result in more "aggressive" larger bubble carbonation and I've found 12psi for 2 weeks is better than 20psi for 4 days and back to 12

Fatcontro11er

One of the ways round the size of the bubbles forming in the head ,wether carbing in keg then bottle or bottle conditioning is to use a portion of carapils in the grist!
It's pretty good for head retention but also helps to form a tighter creamier head too!