• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:50:17 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Stoneground strong white flour

Started by cruiscinlan, September 15, 2015, 09:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiscinlan

September 15, 2015, 09:13:55 PM Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:36:26 PM by cruiscinlan
Just wondering if there's any interest amongst the sourdough bakers here in getting strong white flour, specifically stoneground white flour from one of the English mills like Shiptons http://www.shipton-mill.com/.

This would be 16kg bags for <€20. We'd need four people to get over the order minimum and someone to bring it in from Naas if ye're interested.

There's also a contact I have in Dublin city centre who can get any flour from the Marriages range http://flour.co.uk/

FYI on stoneground vs. roller mill flour read more here http://www.shipton-mill.com/the-mill/milling-and-grain/modern-methods-of-milling.

Basically with roller mills all the bran etc. is stripped from the flour as it is passed through sets of rollers and sieves at what may be high temperatures which impact on the nutrient content of the flour e.g. most wholemeal flour made in this country unless it specifically says stoneground, will have been white flour that then has the bran etc. added back in at the end of the process.

Although particularly in this country we're used to stoneground being used to describe wholemeal or brown flours it was also how  white flour was made in the past.  The additional step compared to the wholemeal we're used to is at the end where it is sieved to remove almost all the bran.   

Eoin

I'd be into getting some at those prices.

Damien M

cruiscinlan

September 18, 2015, 10:46:47 AM #3 Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:49:47 AM by cruiscinlan
Great to see a bit of interest in this.  What would ye be interested in? Conventional white/organic etc.?

Marriages
http://flour.co.uk/our-range

Shipton Mill
http://www.shipton-mill.com/flour-direct-shop/flour

For organic and stuff like spelt the prices would be over what I've indicated above.

Edit - scratch that organic strong white would be <€20. Spelt is crazy dear as in >€80 for 25kg though. But that may be favourable compared to what you'd pay for small quantities in the shops.

Jacob

cruiscinlan

September 19, 2015, 02:28:32 PM #6 Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:47:56 PM by cruiscinlan
Well we might as well start a list:

1. Eoin - 1 x strong white 16kg
2. Damien M - 1 x strong white 16kg
3. Jacob - 1 x strong white 16kg
4. Cruiscinlan - 1 x strong white 16kg

Beermonger

3. Jacob - 1 x strong white 16kg
5. Beermonger - I could probably take 1 x strong white 16 kg
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA

cruiscinlan

Lads, Can ye let me know where ye're based as well?  Would there be anyone able to collect flour from Naas, Co. Kildare on a weekday 10-3?

Jacob

3. Jacob - 1 x strong white 16kg    Dublin/Swords

cruiscinlan

Sorry I forgot to put my own details in.

4. Cruiscinlan - 1 x strong white 16kg Dublin/Drumcondra D9 [Work in Clonskeagh]

Beermonger

4. Cruiscinlan - 1 x strong white 16kg Dublin/Drumcondra D9 [Work in Clonskeagh]
5. Beermonger - I could probably take 1 x strong white 16 kg. Dublin 8, near Heuston
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA

Damien M

October 08, 2015, 02:19:03 PM #12 Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:22:18 PM by Damien M
I can collect from Naas between 10 and 3. And be the NHC Express  to the list.

where are you Eoin??

1. Eoin - 1 x strong white 16kg Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15
2. Damien M - 1 x strong white 16kg Roscrea and Dublin
5. Beermonger - I could probably take 1 x strong white 16 kg. Dublin 8, near Heuston.

Eoin

I'm here... Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15. I'm not gonna have money for this until the end of the month. If that's an issue then remove me from the list, sorry. Car problems have cleaned me out.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Damien M on October 08, 2015, 02:19:03 PM
I can collect from Naas between 10 and 3. And be the NHC Express  to the list.

Damien M, many thanks for the kind offer to do the pick up and drop off in town.  To make things more convenient for you I could offer to hold the flour for others if they could reach me in Drumcondra.

Would everyone on the list be able to get me in Drumcondra?  I'm by the train station there and have off-street parking. 

Re Eoin, will we make this group buy official, arrange payment etc. at the end of the month?  This would also give other members a chance to join in.