• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 22, 2024, 01:52:53 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mangrove Jacks M42 New world yeast

Started by Andy Q, December 23, 2015, 12:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Q

Hi All,

Saw this on a few websites, and it looks like a dinger of a yeast for an IPA, wont be brewing anything new till after Chrimbo, so will be February before I would get to try anything brewed with it, it all seems too good to be true(wasn't blown away by M44, so will not be holding my breathe on this one)

Google is giving me nothing regards results, have any of yee tried it? all feedback welcome, even if it's just to let me know if I'm being overly harsh on M44.
I would just love a highly flocculent Pale Ale yeast.

Ta very much,

Andy

Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

Pheeel

My first few beers back in Ireland I used m44. Thought it was awful. US 05 is a lot better. Their Bohemian Lager yeast (m84) though is great.... 
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Padraich

I used their M79, Burton Union Yeast in an English IPA, and I was really happy with it.  Not sure if that's any use or not...

Andy Q

Delighted to hear the feedback, thinking of using m07 or m79 for my next stout, and now have a bit more confidence in the brand! May still use m42 in an IPA too, sure what's there to loose only a six hour brewday and three week conditioning petiod :-)

Blueshed

Brewed a dubbel yesterday and used M41. Not much information about the yeast.

Andy Q

Finally brewed a beer with this yeast, a scottish red ale to be exact as I didn't want to risk a decent hop bill, went from 1.049 to 1.013 in three days, and looks done, Going to let it finish the week, then another week in the fridge, but seems clean enough from the sample, will post results in a few weels!

Archsnapper

I've used Mangrove Jack's M70 (Burton Union) and M10 (workhorse). Not impressed. I will actively avoid Mangrove Jack's in future.

shweeney

What was wrong with them?

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Archsnapper

The M10 just went horribly wrong. At the 10th day it started up again. At the last check of SG, it was down to 1.004 and still going. Quite possibly an infection that was my fault.
The Burton Union took forever to condition out in bottle. I'm more accustomed to US-05 which, in my opinion is a lovely regular yeast.

Andy Q

have been drinking the M42 Scottish red for a week now, very little yeast character that I can pick up(as hoped) and the best yeast cake that I've seen since my Saf04 days!
Not a great style to judge they yeast by as can't decide if the flavour is all because of the dark malts or if the yeast did contribute something, might try it on a IPA some day, or just bring a few bottles to the next meet(If I can get the carbonation right for a small batch, 1/2 teaspoon each if I remember?)

Not very conclusive I'm afraid, but at least we know attenuation is ok, flocculation is great, flavour wise I wouldn't be 100% able to certify.

mick02

I was planning to use M44 this weekend, having second thoughts now.

What exactly did you folk find wrong with it?

NHC Committee member

Andy Q

My problem with M44 was it didn't clear very well, I'm sure it's nothing that cold crashing and Gelatin wouldn't fix, I'm not a very patient brewer, but in fairness I probably should give it a 2nd go 

Pheeel

Quote from: mick02 on September 01, 2016, 05:42:25 PM
I was planning to use M44 this weekend, having second thoughts now.

What exactly did you folk find wrong with it?

I didn't like the taste. I brewed a few beers with it that I had brewed previously and the only think I could put it down to was the yeast
Issues with your membership? PM me!

mick02

In the interest of completeness I thought I would describe my experience with mangrove jack m44.

I brewed an IPA. One of my go to recipes so I know it well.

Unfortunately I had no temp control for this. I just whacked the fermenter under the stairs. The weather was mild so I figured it would be fine.

My O.G. was 1.060. I pitched 1 sachet at approx 5pm on a Sunday afternoon and didn't see any activity until Tuesday about 8pm. The yeast continued chugging along until the following Sunday.

I took a sample after 2 weeks fermenting and I was very impressed. It had attenuated down to 1.012 and was incredibly clean, in fact it's the cleanest this beer has ever tasted to me.

Other than the lag time the beer was incredibly clean.

I would have no hesitation using this yeast again.
NHC Committee member