• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:00:27 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

To Øl brewery.

Started by armedcor, February 17, 2016, 08:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armedcor

Have you guys come across this brewery? I've had at least 5 of their beers now with 4 being sours and they're fast becoming my favourite brewery. I'm sitting in gatwick right now waiting for my delayed flight drinking their 7.5% amarillo sour and it's just glorious.

I just wish I knew how to pronounce their name!

Leann ull

That's Nogne, The crowd that did the joint brew with Dungarvan, seaweed saison with dilisk, one of my star beers of 2015

armedcor

Quote from: CH on February 17, 2016, 08:13:01 PM
That's Nogne, The crowd that did the joint brew with Dungarvan, seaweed saison with dilisk, one of my star beers of 2015

Is it the same crowd? Jesus I didn't know! I always wanted to try some of the Nogne beers but they always seemed seriously overpriced! The To Øl ones are actually OK value. Picked up two cans of their sours in bottle dog today... Brewdogs off license. Pretty sweet shop.

LordEoin

To Øl are a different brewery from Denmark I think.
Nogne are Norwegian and have beers called Ø, i particularly liked #500

Leann ull

LE is right, it's this crowd

Who are gypsy Brewers

As opposed to this crowd that did the joint brew

armedcor

Ha OK!  It's all very confusing. Love To Øl,  never tried nogne.

BrewDorg

Quote from: LordEoin on February 17, 2016, 09:18:42 PM
To Øl are a different brewery from Denmark I think.
Nogne are Norwegian and have beers called Ø, i particularly liked #500

Was that the imperial IPA, silver lettering? Delicious beer if so!

Bubbles

February 18, 2016, 11:03:15 AM #7 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:20:03 PM by Bubbles
Quote from: armedcor on February 17, 2016, 08:29:05 PMI always wanted to try some of the Nogne beers but they always seemed seriously overpriced!

They're not cheap alright, but some (the bigger beers) are definitely worth the money - the Imperial Stout, the Saison, the #100. I tried the pale ale before which was nice, but no different than any other pale ale on the market, and still 7 quid a throw.

The Saison has an amazing brett character. The #100 is marketed as a barleywine in the US, but is more of a dark amber IPA really. It's a fantastic beer, but you have to get a fresh example. The problem with 7 quid beers is that they're often hanging around on shelves longer than they should be, and tend to lack freshness.

brian_c

The letter Ø in To Øl and Nøgne Ø is pronounced like "Uh". I would describe it as the sound you'd make after being punched in the stomach but others disagree.

Tø Øl literally means "two beers". It's a gypsy brewery, founded by two Danish homebrewers who were friends of Mikkel from Mikkeller.

Nøgne Ø is a phrase from an Ibsen play which can be translated as "naked isle". If refers to a small island off the south coast of Norway without any trees (it's naked). Nøgne Ø is brewed in Grimstad in south Norway, and was a craft brewer until a couple of years ago until it was sold to regional Norwegian fizzy yellow stuff maker Hansa-Borg.

Send all Scandinavian language questions my way :D 

Leann ull

Brian Luv you need to get out more :-*

LordEoin

brian_c

Elisabeth's maiden name has an Ø in it. You better believe I needed to learn how to pronounce it!

cunnol

Had their like weisse on tap in London, it's a super light berliner weisse dry hopped with motueka. Had it on a summers day and it really hit the spot, sadly doesn't seem to be available here

irish_goat

To Øl have some great beers, Fuck Art This is Architecture, Hops Love Pils and First Frontier are the three I've had and they were all very enjoyable. Have had less success with Nogne beers and they don't come cheap either.