• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:28:29 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

can't belive it's not braumiester

Started by christhebrewer, May 13, 2012, 09:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christhebrewer

I kind of like the idea of running it from a pc. No idea why!
Would it make it more expandable.... ?
The current parts guesstimate is around €500. That's for the full on version with 2 pumps, including €100 for the controller.
A bag version would be a bit less.

JimmyM

This (controlling from a PC) can also be achieved with the arduino - network connection and bluetooth is cheap and easy - not sure about wifi, ive never looked into it.

I reckon it would be cheaper than raspberry pi + raspberry pi dev board.
Although with raspberry PI you get a proper distribution - its basically a small PC running linux - you could attach a screen and mouse/keybaord to it whatever you want.

Other downside is you would have to reproduce the controoler software. Its already been done for arduino.

Id say raspberry Pi would be a 'nice to have'.
Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

PS: Anyone interested in a pint tomorrow (thursday 17th May, 7.30pm) Holland's in Bray, we could discuss this further :)
Formerly JamesM.

wallacebiy

QuoteThis (controlling from a PC) can also be achieved with the arduino - network connection and bluetooth is cheap and easy - not sure about wifi, ive never looked into it.

I reckon it would be cheaper than raspberry pi + raspberry pi dev board.
Although with raspberry PI you get a proper distribution - its basically a small PC running linux - you could attach a screen and mouse/keybaord to it whatever you want.

Other downside is you would have to reproduce the controoler software. Its already been done for arduino.

Id say raspberry Pi would be a 'nice to have'.

I think somebody is doing a Pi + arduino project too though ....

I'm currently trying to get a virtual machine running the Pi version of debian , to see what I can do with it , but it's driving me mad

JimmyM

How much was it?
What you going to use it for?
Only rated to 10A so you will probably just about get away with using it for a kettle element.
But as you say its not SSR so switching it on and off quickly isnt an option.
Think ill start playing with my arduino tomorrow :)
Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

ahhhh ya see, i didnt think of that :)
Formerly JamesM.

HomeBrewWest

This is a great project. Those solar pumps . . . . what material exactly? Hot sweet liquids are quite corrosive. On one of the links above, a proper SS pump costs $335 approx. I'd use a PIC and triacs / optos (zero current switching, SCRs probably aren't legal for power switching anymore because of the noise they generate). I'd control the PIC and hardware with a PC (Java, Eclipse for me). Could even run a web server and let people browse pages showing realtime temps, pump operation, etc. Hmmm, the pump is the only worry for me . . . I'd also use silicon rubber tubing everwhere.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

HomeBrewWest

By the way, I'd only use a PIC because I have a proper ICE 2000 emulator, and C compiler.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

HomeBrewWest

QuotePumps are these:
http://solarproject.co.uk/page2.html

I will be in Galway on Thursday and can bring my pump me to show you? I plan on dropping into the shop while I'm there.
Probably going to Donegal, but not until after I write code to integrate stock control on our 3 web sites with Amazon UK. So not defo yet.

Stitch

Is this post dead or is the project ongoing?? I spoke with Chris a while back about the automation aspect of his brewery but at the time I was moving jobs and was very busy. Have a bit more time on my hands and would not mind getting involved.

Stitch

Will_D

As far as my build is concerned just waiting for the nice weather to end ( !!! ). Its a winter sort of job

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing