• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:27:28 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dry Hopping Bud Light

Started by phynes1, June 02, 2016, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phynes1

Anyone ever used bud light as a vehicle for testing the dry hopping characteristics of various hop varieties? Similar to the link below.

If so, did you find it effective? 

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/dry-hopped-bud-light.html

PH

Bubbles

I used Heineken to do this many years ago, and it was rubbish. Just tasted like grass and knocked all of the carbonation out of the beer. I'd say its a very ineffective way of evaluating hop varieties.

Bazza

Ditto. Tried it with Peroni and all I got was a combination of a mossy-tasting flat lager with bits in it.

Compared to Bud it was still outstanding.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

delzep

Yep we tried it at a Liffey Brewers meeting with various hops in coors light and they all tasted rank

Leann ull

Throw some into hot water and let them cool if you want to know

molc

You'll get the aroma but not the flavours I'm guessing though no?
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

Yep.. an aroma of raw cabbage, iirc..

Ciaran

Always wondered how come a randall doesn't have the same vegetal grassy taste?  Tasted several of White Hags beer through a randall at alltech and they were superb.

Bubbles

The first couple of pints through a hop filled Randall are very grassy. Had one at the RDS fest a couple of years ago, and the grassiness was over the top. The flavour seems to settle down after a few uses.

fobster

Quote from: molc on June 02, 2016, 05:38:57 PM
You'll get the aroma but not the flavours I'm guessing though no?

I used Coors Light for this, 3 pellets in each bottle for 4 days. I didn't label which hops were in which, but I used Simcoe, Centennial and Sorachi Ace. Definitely knew the Simcoe aroma.