• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:20:58 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Rule of thumb for drying hops at home

Started by Simon_, September 13, 2016, 02:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_

I've got a decent quantity of garden hops I need to harvest over the next couple of days. I'm looking for pointers to how to dry them without much fuss.
My hops are all various sizes so I think I'd be wasting my time trying to get some uniform residual moisture content. 

My fan oven can go as 40° so I was thinking of fitting in as much as possible on different baking trays and letting them go for about 8 hours over night. Does this sound like it'd get me close or is there a better temp / duration that would work better?

delzep

Brew a wet hop beer on the day you pick them to use some up. Use about 6 times as much hops as you normally would though.

Put the rest into a large fine mesh bag and hang in the hot press for a couple of days or place on some sheets of kitchen towel in the hot press instead. Your house will smell like an Amsterdam cafe for a couple of days though  ;)

Fatcontro11er

I know this an old thread but I've just seen it and the info might be useful this year!
Make envelopes out of newspapers two double sheets folded and fold the edges too so you have a seal to stop hops lupulin etc falling out, I staple it closed!
Put these in the hot press for approx two / three days is usually enough in our house!
The paper excludes light as well as absorbs moisture quicker from the hops!
I would leave the hops in the paper bags before putting them in zip lock bags-and expelling all air before putting in the freezer!
I still do this but I have also purchased a dehydrator which is a bit quicker and I forego the paper bags etc! The hops go into messed weighed ziplock bags straight into the freezer.
I've been growing a variety of hops here in Derry on the edge of the sperrins for the last 9-10 years