• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:21:23 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sorachi SMASH / Saison - ideas?

Started by FlimFlamFlo, September 29, 2016, 07:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlimFlamFlo

Does anyone have an opinion on using Sorachi Ace in a SMASH pale ale or (maybe) a SH Saison?

I've got a stash looking for a home but want to brew something I could bottle and potentially serve by Oct 29th... (which kind of rules out the Saison). Can't remember where I saw the Saison recipe, it's half scribbled in my notebook and I think it might be half-assed.

I'm still a total rookie at calculating hop quantities, so any advice on the below recipe would be appreciated :-)

SMASH
4.54 kg pale ale malt
California Ale / American Ale
Sorachi Ace (14.9% AA): 28g @ 60 ; 21g @ 20 ; 21g at flame out.
Target fg 5.4%

Saison
5.45kg belgian pilsener
French Saison yeast
Sorachi Ace (14.9%) 14g @ 60 ; 14g @ 30 ; 25g flameout >>> maybe dry hop near f/g
target f/g 5.4%

Is this a bad idea? Would I be better off drinking the juice from the jar of gherkins in my fridge?!

darren996

Either look good to me, especially the saison I think sorachi would go well with 3711 French saison, maybe add some carapills or caravienne. I like the idea of a flameout addition.  Go for it and let us know how it turns out

FlimFlamFlo

Nice one, thanks Darren :-) Will give it a whirl.

How much carapils/vienne would you be thinking? 500g?

Don't want to go full pickle on it, so 21g at flameout's probably enough? I guess I can always dry hop if it needs a lift before bottling?

Thanks again, flim.

garciaBernal

I wouldn't bother with the carapils or vienne. Made a saison with pils malt and Sorachi Ace and 5 to 10% wheat(more if you like) but no speciality malts to disrupt the FG. Added some table sugar to the boil to dry it out too. Mash low about 65 and ferment high in the mid 20's and you're laughing.
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

FlimFlamFlo

Thanks Garcia - have some wheat leftover too, so in it goes.

How much sugar would you go for? About 500g? At what point in the boil - like 10/15 mins before the end?

garciaBernal

I usually go for between 300g and 500g and you can add it whenever to the boil. 15 minutes before the end is fine. Sorachi and Saisons I could drink forever. Enjoy it! 
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

darren996

September 30, 2016, 02:34:53 PM #7 Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:40:39 PM by darren996
I would go for 300g of cara if you like saison DuPont style saison