• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 15, 2024, 07:17:43 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Problem with making a starter from my won yeast.

Started by onemanorthree, November 30, 2016, 05:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onemanorthree

November 30, 2016, 05:39:43 PM Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:09:00 PM by onemanorthree
I washed yeast several weeks ago from a brew I'd done following some guidelines i watched on youtube.
I kept this in the fridge for the last 8 weeks, again on the advice of youtube guys.

Yesterday created some starter wort  (1 part DME to two parts water) and poured in the yeast
but after over a day later there has been no action.
I only created 350ml of worth tough and I see a lot of people create much more.

Any ideas?

When I last used this yeast I pitched into the brew directly and had no issue with it fermenting.

Leann ull

Take a breath and rewrite that first sentence it reads like you've been drinking

DEMPSEY

1 part dme to 2 parts water should make a wort around 1019 and as you have only 350 ml you will not show much growth. However that was good to help wake up the yeast so now you should pitch it into a 1 liter starter of 1 part dme to 1 part water,1038. Stir plate if you have one but otherwise shake it up and 48 hours later you should have a good healthy yeast to pitch.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Leann ull

don't apologise for gods sake!
when you wash yeast its very easy to throw out the viable stuff and harder to get right than it looks.
Lets assume you got a small portion of yeast out and it was and it survived the 8 weeks (3-4max next time for health not whether its alive or not)
The correct ratio of dme to water is 10:1 or a target gravity growth medium of 1.035-1.040, what you have done is stressed or essentially killed your yeast by exposing to such a concentrated solution.
Sorry!
Now join up here and get proper brewing advice from proper homebrewers and not the bullshitters on youtube!

Leann ull

Quote from: DEMPSEY on November 30, 2016, 09:34:10 PM
1 part dme to 2 parts water should make a wort around 1019

Mr Dempsey! 1 kilo of DME and 2Kgs or 2L or water does not yield 1019 :P

BrewDorg

onemanorthree

November 30, 2016, 09:58:25 PM #7 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:10:11 PM by onemanorthree
So there is not point in diluting the wort now and seeing if it'll lick off, the yeast is actually dead?

I also used yeast nutrient, is tat ok to use next time too?

Also, you temperature have anything to do with how well it performs?  Like is 19c ok?

DEMPSEY

100 grams of dme added to 1 liter of water makes up 1038. Soo 100 grams of dme added to 2 liters of water makes 1019. No?

DEMPSEY

Starters are always best at 19C even for Lager yeasts as you are not making a beer but instead growing enough yeast to pitch.

BrewDorg

Correct, but calling that 1 part to 2 parts seems arbitrary. Saying 10ml/g or 100g/L is more useful I think :)

DEMPSEY

Leann ull

November 30, 2016, 11:14:11 PM #12 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:59:34 PM by CH
"Parts" means equal measures not the "Dempsey" international scale of, sure whatever your having yerself
I'm sure what you meant to say was 1 part DME to 10 Parts Water  :-*

onemanorthree

ok, so that worked better.  Topped up with some wort 1:10 wort yesterday and now have a nice amount
of yeast to pitch tomorrow.  Now the question is, how much do I know to pitch?  I can over pitch right?

Do I pour the beer out of the flask I made the yeast and only pitch the yeast at the bottom?
It's murkey so I imagine there is plenty of yeast floating about in there

Leann ull

December 03, 2016, 07:38:42 PM #14 Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:49:20 PM by CH
Topped up?
Your yeast is already fucked and stressed to jeebus.
Next time 1-1.5l starter.Good shake, tip your yeast in watch out for bubbles 6-12hrs later
Pour off the fermented beer.
You can try with what you had already but you would be wasting your time imo.