• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 01:49:16 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

how to dry hop a brew

Started by ipa-drinker, January 08, 2017, 09:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipa-drinker

how to dry hop a brew
do I just float them on top or stir them in
thanks for any help
Never look down on people only when you are helping them up

LordEoin

i find it easiest to dryhop in a muslin bag, weighed down with marbles. that way they're not all floating around loose.

Jonnycheech

I prefer to drop them in loose as I think the distribution of the oils is better than the bag method. They sit on the top for awhile but they will drop to the bottom of the fermentor eventually. The down side to this method is that you lose a litre or two of your brew due to the particles at the bottom.

If you are using the bag method make sure it is completely clean and sanitised. Probably best to boil it for a few minutes.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

darren996

Yep drop them in loose as well. If you can cold crash they will drop to the bottom of the fv leaving the beer nice and clear

molc

Loose and cold crash here as well. Least things to sanatise.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Qs

January 08, 2017, 01:14:25 PM #5 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:32:07 PM by Qs
Loose pellets in the FV with a cold crash and gelatin after. Leafs for keg hop in a filter tube , just leave it sitting in the serving keg.

irish_goat

Loose as well. Used to use a muslin bag but the pellets turn to gunk and become a nightmare to clean. Plus I'm not sure how effective they were when they're in the bag.

Leann ull

Chuck pellets in loose, 72 hours, and gentle swirl and move to siphon location 24 hours before to minimise any floaters falling or disturbing those on bottom, surface contact area is important

ipa-drinker

many thanks for your help guys
Never look down on people only when you are helping them up

LordEoin

Quote from: irish_goat on January 08, 2017, 03:42:36 PM
Loose as well. Used to use a muslin bag but the pellets turn to gunk and become a nightmare to clean. Plus I'm not sure how effective they were when they're in the bag.
I don't use a bag for pellets, just leaf.
pellets are grand, but leaf is such a pain in the hole if its loose.

johnrm

January 18, 2017, 08:08:39 AM #10 Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:48:55 PM by johnrm
Saw a trick recently for those who like to skinny dip your hops, sanitize a hop bag, wrap it around the tip of your auto siphon...

cunnol

Quote from: johnrm on January 18, 2017, 08:08:39 AM
Saw a trick recently for those who like to skinny dip your hops, sanitize a hop bag, wrap it sounds the tip of your auto siphon...
tried that on my last brew, bag stopped the auto siphon getting a proper suck, meant a load of oxygen bubbles went into the keg with the beer..totally oxidised.
Seems to work for many people but I'd definitely test your technique one some water rather than beer to make sure it works

Qs

Quote from: cunnol on January 18, 2017, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: johnrm on January 18, 2017, 08:08:39 AM
Saw a trick recently for those who like to skinny dip your hops, sanitize a hop bag, wrap it sounds the tip of your auto siphon...
tried that on my last brew, bag stopped the auto siphon getting a proper suck, meant a load of oxygen bubbles went into the keg with the beer..totally oxidised.
Seems to work for many people but I'd definitely test your technique one some water rather than beer to make sure it works

I never found it very effective either.

I think the best way to deal with dry hopping in the FV is just to brew more beer so you can rack off without getting too close to the bottom.

WaterWolf

I'm still fairly new to this, but on the last brew I also tried putting a sanitised bag (well a pair of nylon stockings actually!) over the end of the siphon - it blocked up with hop particles far too easily and was just a pain. Next time (this weekend in fact) I intend to attach the bag loosely at the other end of the siphon in the bottling bucket - the intention is that the beer will flow out of the siphon easily but I'll be taking the hop particles out along with the bag. I'll see how it goes!

WaterWolf

Yes, this worked quite well. The stocking caught any hop particles that went through the siphon but didn't restrict the flow.