• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:23:21 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Pacific Jade in a Smash?

Started by FlimFlamFlo, July 13, 2017, 12:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlimFlamFlo

Hello,

I have a 100g of Pacific Jade (15% AA) looking for a home and was thinking of trying them in a Smash with some leftover pale ale malt and a yeast coming up to use-by date.
Any thoughts on whether it can hold its own as a showcase flavour or would the 50g of Sorachi Ace I have in the freezer be a better choice? I have 53g of Amarillo also looking for a home but think it's probably not enough.

Was thinking along the lines of

4.5kg pale ale malt
California Ale Yeast WLP 001
PacJade 20g @60m them 10g @20 and 10g at flameout.

Figured keeping around the 40g mark total would keep it balanced as the AA's high enough.

Would this be a waste of even leftover/need to use soon ingredients?

darren996

There is only one way to know for sure and that is to try it.

Hop is dual purpose, citrus and spice.  I would do 20g dry hop as well.

You should end up with a nice pale.

FlimFlamFlo

molc

I'd use magnum or something clean for the bittering and use the rest for your flavour and aroma additions. Best bang for buck.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

darren996

I like magnum as well, northern brewer also

molc

Aye northern brewer is excellent. If you have too much lying around, you can always make a cal common as well.

As for the original recipe, assuming a neutral bittering hop, I'd go with 40g at flameout and 60g dry hop for a light pale ale. You won't get a lot of bittering with the late additions, but tons of flavour and aroma.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

FlimFlamFlo

A rummage in the freezer tells me I have around 60g N. Brewer and 40g EKG. Any opinions on which would work better? I'm still learning how to get the balance right, so would I be wrong in going for around 30g at 60m for bittering before the suggested 40g at flameout? Assuming I don't go mad and try to keep it a Smash with PJ all the way.

Qs

I'd use as much magnum for bittering as you need to hit your IBUs and then whirlpool the PJ.