• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:52:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dry-hopping with Cryo hops

Started by mcooney, November 29, 2017, 02:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcooney

Hi, made a simple pale ale at the weekend where a used a 50g packet of Ekuanot cryo hops in the whirlpool.
Plan to dry-hop with another 50g packet probably the weekend. 
Anyone have any experience with them? , I've heard they have a tendency to float.
I have one of those stainless keg hoppers , I'm hoping that will keep the powder in solution or maybe they'll work better just tossed in.

mick02

Quote from: mcooney on November 29, 2017, 02:18:44 PM
Hi, made a simple pale ale at the weekend where a used a 50g packet of Ekuanot cryo hops in the whirlpool.
Plan to dry-hop with another 50g packet probably the weekend. 
Anyone have any experience with them? , I've heard they have a tendency to float.
I have one of those stainless keg hoppers , I'm hoping that will keep the powder in solution or maybe they'll work better just tossed in.
I just watched a video yesterday with a guy using cryohops for dry hopping and he was using a stainless mesh filter weighed down with marbles. HTH
NHC Committee member

mcooney

auralabuse

Quote from: mcooney on November 30, 2017, 09:40:57 AM
Thanks , I'll try that.
I used them recently and they certainly do float. Use double the amount of marbles you think you need and double that again. I used a muslin bag without any problems. The resulting hop profile is great though. Proper hop explosion

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

imark

Are Cryo-hops the same as hop hash?

johnrm

I believe it's the the Lupulin extracted from hop cones using a cryogenic process.

Qs

Hop hash is just stuff they scrape out of the palletising machine AFAIK. From what I've read its not that great.