• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 06:46:59 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Breo

Started by Sokratees9, May 07, 2018, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sokratees9

A friend and I were reminiscing about our Uni days around the turn of the millennium, and the chat reach the topic of Breo.  We knew little about beer back then, but certainly enjoyed the initial burst of excitement about something different being available on tap.  We both seem to remember it being tasty (hey, it was a bit of a departure from the usual), but then fell off a cliff after a short period, since it probably wasn't being drunk in big enough quantities, and was just going stale.

Anyway, does anyone have any good info about what the approximate recipe might be?  From googling, I haven't found much info on it.  I would assume I'd be starting with a recipe similar to a Belgian Wit.

I'm sure if I was presented with a Breo today, I'd probably find little of interest in there that I'm not able to get is spoonfuls more than elsewhere, but would like to give it a shot.

helmet

I remember them giving it away for free in the DCU bar because nobody was buying it. I suppose £1.50 pints of Murphy's might have been a factor. My only strong memory of it is that we agreed that it tasted all right, but you wouldn't drink more than one.
Breo popped up in my mind recently funnily enough. I was thinking that times have definitely changed, Guinness tried something new back then and got laughed out of it and now their James's Gate thing is pumping stuff out (nearly bought a Citra IPA in the airport the other day, but then I spotted Of Foam and Dury in the fridge)!

irish_goat

Quote from: helmet on May 07, 2018, 01:59:27 PM(nearly bought a Citra IPA in the airport the other day, but then I spotted Of Foam and Dury in the fridge)!

Marqette in Terminal 1 has a pretty good selection of bottles now, usually a few Hope seasonals plus Galway Bay, O'Haras and Hooker.

Fatcontro11er

I was talking about this beer only last week!!!
I remember having a pint on a trip to Wicklow in the late 90's!
I remember thinking that it was marketed as a white Guinness!?

nigel_c

Was tasty as far as I remember. Real forward thinking of Guinness at the time. Would love to see how it would do now.