• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:27:32 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Centennial hop hash

Started by nigel_c, May 29, 2018, 01:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel_c

I have an hop order on the way from Yakima and decided to pick up some centennial hop hash as well to try out.
From the Yakima site ....

Hop Hash! Harvested from the finest pelletizing machines in the North West, this resinous hop matter holds some exquisite aroma and flavor!!
Hop hash is concentrated lupulin glands, this means its packed with the good stuff! High concentration of both acids and oils will yield powerful characteristics; approximately 16-32% AA and 2.8-4.5 ml/100g
Intense Hop Flavor without the grassy nature. For the Most adventurous of Homebrews.
Comes in 4oz vacuum sealed bag.

Anyone ever used this? Planning on using it in a ruination type IPA.

molc

I'm using some 007 hop hash I got over Christmas. Throwing it into the dry hop at half the usual rate and its giving plenty of aroma and flavour.

Now if it's better than a usual dry hop, I can't say, as I'm using it in combination with other hops.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Qs

I threw 40g of centennial hop hash into an IPA dry hop today. It went in with 160g of pellets though so not sure what I'll be able to tell you. It was very sticky and smelled better than any centennial pellets I've ever used though.

imark

I used it as whirlpool and worked on basis I needed to add quarter as much. It was great stuff. Must get more.

mick02

Where are you guys getting your supply from? I don't see anything on the HBC or HBW. GeterBrewed seems to be the only Irish homebrew shop that stocks it.
NHC Committee member

imark

Got mine direct from the states

nigel_c

Ordered from Yakima valley hops.

molc

Quote from: mick02 on May 30, 2018, 07:24:23 PM
Where are you guys getting your supply from? I don't see anything on the HBC or HBW. GeterBrewed seems to be the only Irish homebrew shop that stocks it.
The US. To be honest, the hops we are getting here aren't a patch on the Yakima Valley hops when we order them in - the difference is stark when you open one of the bags.

There's an opening there if one of the shops managed to get a direct order contract from YCH and resold to homebrewers - the product is just that much better that the markup would be worth it, especially as homebrewers can't order from them.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

mick02

Quote from: molc on May 31, 2018, 10:23:14 AM
Quote from: mick02 on May 30, 2018, 07:24:23 PM
The US. To be honest, the hops we are getting here aren't a patch on the Yakima Valley hops when we order them in - the difference is stark when you open one of the bags.

There's an opening there if one of the shops managed to get a direct order contract from YCH and resold to homebrewers - the product is just that much better that the markup would be worth it, especially as homebrewers can't order from them.

I have to agree, I brought back 4lbs of hops from Yakima Valley this Christmas and the difference was huge. I would also champion getting hops directly from the large producers. I've noticed that they are a cut above the homebrew shops too. Maybe a few group buys on hops would be a good idea.
NHC Committee member

Qs

Quote from: molc on May 31, 2018, 10:23:14 AMThere's an opening there if one of the shops managed to get a direct order contract from YCH and resold to homebrewers - the product is just that much better that the markup would be worth it, especially as homebrewers can't order from them.

And if they do they need to get the YCH bagged homebrew stuff too because the state of the cryo that was being sold on this island compared to the stuff I bought from England was stark. Pretty obvious they had been oxidised when repacking here.

Simon_

Yes it should be packed in Oregon and opened by homebrewers

Pheeel

Quote from: Simon_ on June 01, 2018, 11:36:30 AM
Yes it should be packed in Oregon and opened by homebrewers

Surely you mean Yakima, Washington 🤣
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Simon_

:) I think someone already corrected me about that last week. Apologies.

Pheeel

Your point is otherwise correct 🤣
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Paul B

Then you have companies making up these kits / selling custom hop amounts. While yes it is handy, it's pretty clear the bag is sitting open year round in a fridge somewhere :(