• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:09:59 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Scraggy Bay hops

Started by Charco, March 13, 2021, 02:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charco

Hi,

I'm only new to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows the hops that Kinnegar use for Scraggy Bay. I'd love to be able to brew something similar.

BeermanB)

I don't know myself but if you drop them an email they may oblige

phildo79

Tastes to me like there is simcoe in it but if you drop them an email, they might give you the recipe.

eoghanr

I actually emailed them about this a while back. They told me centennial, Amarillo and Citra.

dickvaughan

Thanks eoghanr for this info and thanks Charco for starting this thread. Scraggy Bay is my favourite for a relaxing beer (Eight Degrees Brewing Full Irish is my close no. 2).
It would be great if we could work out a clone recipe between us for Scraggy Bay! 
The attached recipe was my attempt at brewing a clone. I think it was a nice first cousin of Scraggy Bay, but not a sibling, never mind a clone!
I recently made a Bells Two Hearted Ale clone (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone/) and I that's a nice first cousin too.
I'd welcome any suggestions from anyone to get my recipe closer - more citra and Amarillo in the last 15mins and for dry hopping?

Mossy

There's definitely a bit of fairy dust sprinkled in during the whirlpool

phildo79

I also made a clone of Bell's Two Hearted but from a different recipe. Whilst is was an ok enough beer, there is no way it was close to the original. Not that I have tried the original but my version was some distance from 'world class'. Clones are very tricky to get right. I have only managed to get close to two originals and neither of them were IPA's.

Charco

Yeah Scraggy Bay is unreal. First tried it at the Alltech fair a few years back and it's definitely my go to beer, along with Galway Bay Full sail. Havent tried Bells Two Hearted but will do! Is it a similar beer?

Would be impossible to completely clone any of them I suppose but something close would be great. As a newby I'm just chuffed if the final product is nice   ;D

phildo79

Quote from: Charco on March 16, 2021, 05:49:34 PMYeah Scraggy Bay is unreal. First tried it at the Alltech fair a few years back and it's definitely my go to beer, along with Galway Bay Full sail. Havent tried Bells Two Hearted but will do! Is it a similar beer?

Would be impossible to completely clone any of them I suppose but something close would be great. As a newby I'm just chuffed if the final product is nice   ;D
It's similar in that it is an IPA and uses Centennial hops, if indeed Scraggy Bay uses that hop. Bell's is one of those 100/100 beers that is raved about. You will do well to find a bottle in an offy. Your best bet will probably be online.

Charco

Sounds interesting, high praise....will have to have a look online for it!

Andy Q

Kenny's Lucan have 500ml bottles for any westies out there, nice easy drinking pale ale, first bottle in years, thanks for the tip😉 if I were to brew something redembling it, maybe I would lower the abv so I could drink more of it!
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

irish_goat

Rick did a live chat with the Bier Haus on Facebook last week, and if you listen back you'll hear that the Scraggy dry hop is Citra and Mosaic. https://fb.watch/4tuPBQlx5l/

If you want to know more than that you'll need to catch Rick at a beer festival someday and my advice would be, have your homework done, don't just ask him straight up for the recipe. Talk about one of your own recipes and go from there.

nigel_c

If only we had an inside man  ;)

DEMPSEY

Drinking a scraggy now and it's deffo mosaic hops. Onion is the aroma that's hitting me.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

thehoppyending

Was there ever any luck getting this recipe? I was on this at a wedding over the weekend and I kind of fell in love with it. It'd be in the mix for my first attempted home brew.