• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:53 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Woodfordes Nelson's ale (not Nelsons revenge!)

Started by Basil, February 17, 2022, 01:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basil

So, I bought this kit just over a year ago but due to the house move it didn't get brewed until this past week.  I used the yeast with the kit (2x6g packs) as it was dated for October this year (might have been mistake No.1).

It slowed right down after 5 days but it had clearly stopped feremnting by day 7; I left it 2 more says to be sure, but absolutely no activity at all. sg was 1016 for 3 days in a row, it tasted like it should, just slightly too sweet. Treated it to 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin in warm water (sterilsied equipment) and left it for 24h before kegging it last night, with 100g of brewning sugar.  checked it this morning and it's obviously fermenting well, some pressure and checked a sample but it now tastes like burnt toffee, ortreacle.

I wondered if this could this be the gelatin and if it might improve with keeping?  I have anpther empty keg so I'm ordering a couple of kits to start - not too concerned if I lose this one as it's not been stored in a great environment, but rather than chuck it out it was worth a shot!

I think I should have used a new yeast but tat's a lesson learnt; the 1st 2 days I couldn't get the temp. below 22°C but then it stayed at 20 for the rest of the time.  The yeast cake was as it should be in the fermenter when I drained it so I'm pretty sure it had a decent go at converting the sugars; I used 100g brewing sugar in the keg.

Any advice apart from using fresh yeast and finding a cooler space (I'M still short of a shed until next month so the office hasn't got any room in it as it's full of boxes and tools, but that's the future mini brewery!).

Pheeel

It won't be the gelatin. A dried yeast that old will probably be okay but some of those kit yeasts are sometimes dodgy.

The only thing that comes to mind is that some of the kit extract scorched on the bottom of the kettle. It can sometimes take a while to become noticeable. I've had the same happen to me
Issues with your membership? PM me!