• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:18:23 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Updates on our last three brew day beers

Started by brenmurph, April 25, 2013, 06:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

April 25, 2013, 06:46:11 PM Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:57:06 PM by brenmurph
HI all and for those at our last two brew days.
report on our Dusseldorf Altbier brewed April 20th.
All is great with this baby..reminds us of Dusselkdorf, beautiful. Krausen (foaming) just settled today lots of life, smells exactly like an Alt with a hint of ale yeast which it wouldnt have when drinking it! Colour perfect and cant wait to taste

re march 23rd brewday:

Our American Coffee stout is to me anyway just fab. The harsh roast barley and  coffee has mellowed  amazingly. I cant mistake the fresh Ponaire beans and the roast with a hint of aroma from the ekg and the but mild bitterness of the Galena hops coming through at the end with an "Irish coffee liquer" flavour to finish.

We also have the peated malt ale. Another cracker if you like a hint of peat. our blind taste tests resulted in few people guessing the peat but recognise it when I told them. Both Coffee stout and Peated ale are maturing and should be perfect by next brewday.

Other special brews. The lime wheatbeer.
I bought an MYOB  nut brown ale some months back from homebrewcompany.ie it was a great kit ale with no modds. I then tried the English Mild...6 brews of that and a dozen parties, funerals and other events later it is my house ale. I progressed onwards to try the Wheat beer version and I wasnt dissapointed again. I added a whole lime to one batch and its a wonderful spicy citrussy wheatbeer with an amazin head retention,  highly recomended.
My previous 3 months ago mash day we brewed a belgian ale and response to it was just incredible. I have half a keg and Im being mean with it, its a fab belgian ale with everything going for it according to my blind tasters. In fact at my late brothers in laws Months mind half the women were drinking it as well, I plan doin another version / batch of that at next brewday to teach ye this wonderfuull brew which was in great demand. Just yesterday one of my regular taste testers Andrew who knows his beer (he grows the whiskey and beer barley for minch maltings and a host of big distileries, Quote "its a good few years since I tasted anything that good from a bottle"

With practise and dedication we can all brew that well and hit the mark perfectly on occasions ( definatly not all the time ) but when one is that good learn from it and go again!

keep on brewin and remember "god loves a tryer"  kep practising and experimenting with this fabulous hobby, social activity and a little competitiveness if it suits you.

regards brendan

ColinC

Well done Brendan. Dying to try the lime wheatbeer!! Hope you bring a sample to the next Liffey Brewers meet!

brenmurph

sure will colin.
Our week in Dusseldorf on a beer research trek taught us so much about beer styles and beer passion. In the Kurtzer Brewery pub the barman spent over an hour giving us tips, ideas, describing their unique beer equipment and process that Ive never read about and certainly not seen before, have some great pics of that experience.
Didnt know the germans (dusserdorf region anyway love their wheat beers and their Altbiers along with fruit, yes fruit. banana wheatbeer, using banana puree and the famous Altbier Bowle includes peaches,  and perfectly poured wheatbeer with a slice of freshly sliced lemon...so fresh and what a treat no lemons sitting on a dish for the last five hours like the irish pubs!. Hence we came back and I said to Kellie we hav to get some lemon or lime wheatbeer on...we were hooked

So a bit more research we set about playing with small split batches trying different approaches..settled on a whole scratched lime in the primary for a few days..it appears to make the yeast more active too.

Get ur ass down for next kildare day / weekend and Ill see u B&C sat or lucan meet we will b there