• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 22, 2024, 01:03:37 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cider Recipe

Started by BrewBilly, June 29, 2013, 10:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewBilly

June 29, 2013, 10:26:43 PM Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:41:06 AM by BrewBilly
Hi Folks

I had a great time at our June meetup, and as promised here is my cider recipe.

4.5l Apple Juice (ASDA's own brand from concentrate - no additives)
1cup brewing suger (Dextrose)
1teaspoon of Allinsons bakers yeast.

Demijohn batch size - pretty easy to scale up, I probably used a little to much yeast???

I got an OG of around 1060 (I honestly cant remember the exact figure but it was there abouts.
I let the brew ferment until it stopped bubbling then bottled (it did take a few weeks so patients is the key) - I used two coopers carbonation drops, but maybe could have done with less so play around with how you want it. I also added 250ml of lukewarm tea before bottling.

Initially the cider is quite dry and strong, but as you tasted on the get together it seemed to have mellowed a little.

please feel free to send me any questions and I will try answer them.

Cheers
BrewBilly - aka Andy
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

BrewBilly

Quote from: Il Tubo on June 29, 2013, 11:37:47 PM
Andy, Will_D is the resident Welsh Wizard (of Cider). He may not see your post, not being a Belfast brewer, so maybe if you posted in the Cider, Perry and Wine section you might get his attention!

His ciders took gold and bronze in the nationals!

My post was more just for info as I had brought a sample with to our June meet.
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

Will_D

I do read these posts!

I have a couple of Lidl "Turubo ciders" on the go at the momenet:

1 is based on the cloudy juice and other 1 based on the clear.

Recipe is basically:

22 Litres of juice, 4 tea bags brewed up to give about a litre of strong black tea, minced raisins ( first lot had way too much 1Kg ) second lot just half a Kg), good dose of yeast nutient.

Add sugar or dextrose or brewing sugar to achieve the OG you want.

Basic Lidl AJ is about 1052 or so. Also add some Malic or Citric acid if you want a bit more bite to a stronger cider. I am using about 10 gms of each to the 5 gallons.

Ferment with a cider or wine yeast, ideally at a cool temperature as cider likes a long slow ferment.

When fermented out it may want to sweeten it up a bit and maybe carbonate as well.

For bottle carbed you should use a non fermentable sweetner and prime as usual for beer

For kegging you could do the same as above and prime the keg naturally or:

It can be pasturised and then sweetened with AJ or brown sugar or whatever and then served still or force carb in a keg and if needed botle with a counter pressure bottler.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

iain_todd

A cider day would be good for the club, as well. Perhaps we could all brew a supermarket cider and then vote for the best.

The stipulation could be you have to use supermarket juice, including at least 50% apple juice, and we could see what people come up with.
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

sub82

Could you add anything else to it? Like fresh fruit?

iain_todd

Maybe allow as much as you like of one adjunct?
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan