• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:53:39 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best place to buy lactose?

Started by admin, December 10, 2013, 11:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

This thread is gett uderrly ridiculous ::)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Eoin

Veal was big years ago, until it was taken to an extreme and to get the most tender of meat the veal was boxed, that is put in a small crate that they could stand up in, but not move about in. If the muscles are used less then the veal tastes sweeter and more tender, they should theoretically also never have eaten grass.
In the 80's there was uproar and it was considered bad form to eat veal, it's making a recent comeback, but I'd dispute that it's veal cos the animals are grass fed etc and allowed to bulk up a bit on grass.

It is making a comeback as there is a recent enough argument that if you eat dairy it is almost your obligation to eat veal as it's a by-product which is normally wasted.

Personally I love the stuff.

Shanna

Quote from: iTube on December 13, 2013, 11:04:16 AM
Dairy cattle are kept continuously pregnant/giving birth to keep them in milk for human consumption. The male calves that are born have a very short life before they're slaughtered, generally 1 to 6 months, and it wouldn't be the most fulfilling.
Not sure if this is entirely accurate as I believe that it depends on the breed of cow. Male holstein/fresian calves would be prized for beef production. Most dairy farmers here in Ireland would stock Fresian cows and I don't know too many of them would be dispatching bull calves in this fashion. As far as I am aware the slaughter of male calves is limited to types of breeds that don't produce good beef (Jersey for example) but are instead prized for producing high fat milk for making butter and cheese.

Your out of luck as a Jersey calf if your born a bull as your genetics don't favour you for putting on weight in a timely fashion and as such your just an extra mouth to feed.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

CARA

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyone any real suggestions on where to get cheap Lactose please?
Upa Sesh

Parky

Not sure what quantities you're looking for CARA, or how cheap, but check out the HBC - 500g for 3.45 euro. Not too much more expensive than maltodextrin, for example, and you may not be using all that much in a brew anyway.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/lactose-500g-p-257.html

CARA

Looking for it by the sack load! 25kg would be ideal
Upa Sesh

dcalnan

One of my friends worked at Glenstal foods in Limerick for a summer, I'm pretty sure they supply it.

Yup http://www.glenstalfoods.com/food-ingredients/lactose/

Parky

QuoteLooking for it by the sack load! 25kg would be ideal

Aha! :D  You might try All-in-All Ingredients in Parkwest in Dublin, I know they do a lot of dry ingredients in bulk, and they seem to have Lactose (25kg) on their products list - worth a quick phone call to check price and availability anyway.

http://www.allinall.ie/products-page55152.html

CARA

Nice one lads. Any Google searches were throwing up only small suppliers
Upa Sesh