• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:06:57 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lactose usage

Started by Shanna, February 26, 2013, 08:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newToBrew

QuoteLactose will add 10 points of gravity and a nice sweetness to a milk stout

at what ratio ?  - I have @ 5 Gallons of Dry Cider 1.000
how much lactose do I need to add to bring it into the medium/dry
slightly sweeter category ? lets say I want to bring it up to 1.010
coz theres always something new to do

Padraic

QuoteLactose will add 10 points of gravity and a nice sweetness to a milk stout

at what ratio ?  - I have @ 5 Gallons of Dry Cider 1.000
how much lactose do I need to add to bring it into the medium/dry
slightly sweeter category ? lets say I want to bring it up to 1.010

My only experience is with Milk Stout and you use around 500g for a 5 gallon batch. I think one of the cider makers will have a better idea, I think they normally use sorbital, or some other unfermentable!

newToBrew

yeah - ciderhead mentioned sorbital to me before alright - when I started reading this post I did a little googling on lactose - some dudes do use it for cider - didn't really gete a recommended amount though
better google up on the oul sorbital before I make a decision I guess

Greg2013

March 04, 2013, 07:00:39 PM #18 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:01:34 PM by deadman1972
Sorbitol is a liquid backsweetner, if you use too much it has a laxative effect :-[ Will do absolutely nothing for head retention though its just for back sweetening :'(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

March 04, 2013, 07:12:05 PM #19 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:43:43 PM by Ciderhead
Sorbitol if taken neat will give you the shits, 10ml in 500ml which is what I used will not.
You cannot backsweeten with lactose, and its used early in the process not late.
I always steer clear of lactose as some people are lactose intolerant and they will not thank you for it.

DO NOT TREAT YOUR ENTIRE BATCH OF CIDER, if you ruin it, its 12 months fermenting down the drain

For those that didn't hear me on other posts, play around with small batches of adjuncts.
Sir William of Apple(not orange) will be publishing his winning recipie later this week, listen closely young Jedis as to what he says

Greg2013

Why can you not backsweeten with lactose? You add it in primary if you want a sweeter wort?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

newToBrew

my intention was at bottling time to - add
1. the appropriate amount of fermentable sugar(prob table sugar)  for carbonation ( bulk prime )
2. Add the Lactose at the same time for sweetness
(bulk sweeten)

I'm not interested in head retention as its cider I'm dealing with 

Ciderhead

QuoteWhy can you not backsweeten with lactose? You add it in primary if you want a sweeter wort?

it improves mouthfeel but the vols you put it in are significant as it has low sweetness, consider a mix of artificial and lactose.
As I said before play around with small vols to get where yoy want

newToBrew

yeah - I'm in no panic to do anything yet - just fishing for ideas I guess - what I might do is bottle @ 5 litres or something on the lactose and see how it goes

Padraic

Does anyone know if lactose might be fermentable to wild yeast that might have lived on the apples?

Just wondering!

Greg2013

Does anyone know how long does lactose keep because i have 2kg of it here and looks like i will not be using it any day soon?