• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 13, 2024, 06:20:35 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Nøgne Ø 500

Started by LordEoin, July 17, 2014, 11:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

so good that my body and mind were working in complete harmony and the rest of the world no longer mattered.

Bazza

Similar to that feeling when you're picking your nose on the toilet. Unashamed bliss.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

ferg

Quote from: Qs on July 18, 2014, 11:00:43 AM
Quote from: Bubbles on July 18, 2014, 12:17:30 AM
John, I'd say the problem was that your bottle of #500 had aged too much! Probably stored on a warm shelf and the hops had dropped out completely. I love this beer, but i've had bottles of it that fell flat and I suspect lengthy/improper storage is the culprit.

This is the problem with every hoppy import in Ireland. Its a pain when you are paying so much for a Nogne O.

Nogne beers are actually cheaper here than they are in Norway due to their higher tax on booze.

LordEoin

Having a Nogne O #100. €8.59 a bottle but a very interesting beer.
Lots of chocolate and molasses and some burnt toffee with a nice balance of bitterness. Some orange coming through.
not much hop on the nose or palate but they say that's down to the bottles being aged 6 months before release (and god knows how long they were on the shelf)
10% but hides it well.
Overall, a lovely beer. Not as good as their #500, but nice none the less.
So if you're out to splash nearly a tenner on a pint I'd go with the #500 over the #100, but i wouldn't turn my nose up at another of either ;)

edit: actually, they thoughtfully put the brewing date on the bottle. 25/01/13, so over 2 years old. no wonder the hops have faded.
best before 25/01/17.
If you're getting one, check the bottle for the brewing date so you know what to expect.

grim reality

Had a fair few Nøgne on holiday in Norway a couple of years back. Some of the best stuff I ever tasted! Anywhere in the midlands selling it?

brian_c

Try Egan's in Portlaoise.

Ciaran

Class post. Just realised it's a nogne 0 500 I brought back to belfast from McHughs. Looking forward to drinking it on Friday night with Lord eoins tasting notes and a bog roll at the ready ;D

auralabuse

Quote from: Ciaran on April 15, 2015, 08:00:11 AM
Class post. Just realised it's a nogne 0 500 I brought back to belfast from McHughs. Looking forward to drinking it on Friday night with Lord eoins tasting notes and a bog roll at the ready ;D
Put the big roll in the freezer first

irish_goat

Not sure how I missed the first post on this thread. 10/10  :D