• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:43:45 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

coffee extract

Started by varadamo, March 16, 2015, 02:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

varadamo

anybody here tried using coffee extract - the baking type - how much is enough when adding in secondary to a choc coffee stout 22/23 litre batch ?
cheers

TheSumOfAllBeers

Why use extract, instead of coffee beans? You could overdo it with extract, and you are likely to get better coffee character with higher quality beans and cold steeping

varadamo

Good point - i presume you may have used beans - how much is enough beans ?
cheers

winstonia

I threw 70 grams of 3FE beans into my stout which was enough, about 5 days before bottling.

20L brew

varadamo

excellent - sounds good - whats 3fe ?

dcalnan

March 16, 2015, 06:41:06 PM #5 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:11:55 PM by dcalnan
Coffee company in Dublin, but any beans that you like or compliment the stout will do. For what your trying to achieve I'd recommend a south/central American bean possibly Guatemalan/Columbian/Brazillian as they  tend to have chocolate notes to them, but read the description on the bag. I'd recommend a really course grind as well.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Results vary depending on what stage you put the coffee in. Pro brewers put it straight into bright tanks, but you can also add it at batch priming time. You can overdo it though, so it might be a good idea to add a little post fermentation, and top up if necessary at bottling time

DEMPSEY

How does the coffee age with the beer :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 17, 2015, 09:50:29 AM
How does the coffee age with the beer :-\

Good question!

Answer: I don't know.

I have found that many adjuncts stick around forever, long after the hops have lost their lustre.

Perhaps coffee is one of those flavours that declines slowly or it at all. Worth an experiment I think.

winstonia

Don't grind the beans, dump them in whole. When you grind them you can get astringency after a few weeks in the bottle.

Kevin O'Roundwood

Quote from: winstonia on March 16, 2015, 05:25:41 PM
I threw 70 grams of 3FE beans into my stout which was enough, about 5 days before bottling.

So you added them to the fermenter? Did you boil them first to sterilise them or anything?
Buachaill dána

dcalnan

Boiling them would extract the coffee from them, when I do it I just grind them extremely coarsely, put them in a sanitised muslin bag and hope it works, I guess you could soak them in vodka or whiskey.