• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:22:50 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Adjuncts - Rice

Started by neoanto, April 15, 2015, 03:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neoanto

Guys,

I'm planning on doing an american/japanese lager in the near future and am just doing some reading on adjuncts.
I understand that a cereal mash is required for certain adjuncts, rice in the case ill be doing.

I have a question though on the particulars of the cereal mash.
Once you have mashed the rice an its now a gelatinous liquid do you strain the rice and add the rice to the normal mash with the rest of the grain?
Or do you add the whole liquid to the mash tun and mash it all with the rest of the grain?

Cheers

Bart

Quote from: neoanto on April 15, 2015, 03:40:07 PM
Or do you add the whole liquid to the mash tun and mash it all with the rest of the grain?

That's what I would do.
The liquid contains starch, which will be later converted by diastatic enzymes (amylases) to sugars.
And sugar is good :)

neoanto

Cheers,
Makes sense to get as much fermentables in there as possible!

Tom

I don't think rice converts itself, so you'd need to add it with the base malt.

I've made a Tiger beer clone several times, and WISH I had some Rice or Oat hulls, but I just take the sparge/drain really slow!

Got a silver medal for my last effort.

imark

I always assume that the cereal mash is just to release the starches so that the subsequent mash enzymes can do their work. So make porridge and let the pale malt work it's magic

Sorcerers Apprentice

Normal practice is to add some wort to the cereal cooker when using rice. Take some wort from your mash, add your rice and heat. Without the wort you end up with rice pudding  ^-^
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

oblivious

Quote from: Tom on April 17, 2015, 09:21:26 PM
I don't think rice converts itself, so you'd need to add it with the base malt.

Yep, it can't be malted