• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 11, 2024, 11:13:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Maynooth Water

Started by markc, July 07, 2015, 03:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markc

Hi Liffey brewers. I've met a few of you guys before over the last year, Dempsey in particular and few others at the Rascals brew day. I'm in the process of buying a new house in Maynooth, Newton Hall to be precise. I'm leaving the beautiful water of Dublin 8 behind and, I'm wondering, what's the water like out that way? Am I on the Louisa Bridge supply? Hardness, general PH? Any pointers or typical treatment you guys use?  I suppose I'll have to defect from the Capital Brewers and start coming to the Liffey meets too. Just as well there are a few sour heads to bounce ideas off!

Cheers,
Mark

imark

I think maynooth is of leixlip. We used to have a mixed supply from leixlip and ballymore-eustace in Lucan.  However, since last April that changed and now it's 100% leixlip shite water here too . There's detail of the hardness on this link.
http://www.sdcc.ie/news/increase-in-leixlip-water-supply-area
I just boil my water to drop out some hardness if the style requires it. I know Dempsey has an ro system.

DEMPSEY

Hi Markc your welcome to the Liffey brewers. I do not know what the water is like in Maynooth but as you are getting nearer the midland's the water is generally hard :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

delzep

I heard if you pour a bucket of that water over someone it would leave severe physical  damage  :-\

imark

You can harvest your own chalk out here now. It's great since Irish water came along and started charging us for it.

delzep

When I open my tap I can faintly hear soft harps playing in the distance  8)

DEMPSEY

Wait till they start fracking in the Dublin mountains then you will be playing those harps unless your one of the ones going to hell instead. :P
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us