• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:58:07 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel'O'Rebel II - Herd'O'Rebels

Started by johnrm, March 24, 2017, 04:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcalnan

I thought drh said he ha someone local interested?

johnrm

Nogne 100 clone.

Assuming 200l Barrel...

1. Johnrm - 20l
2. LordEoin - 20l
3. mr hoppy - 20l
4. Dr. Horrible - 20l
5. Dcalnan - 20l
6. Tommy - 20l
7. BrewDorg - 20l
8. Bzfeale80 - 20l
9. Cambrinus - 20l
10. Dr. H's buddy

Dr Horrible

Nogne 100 clone.

Assuming 200l Barrel...

1. Johnrm - 20l
2. LordEoin - 20l
3. mr hoppy - 20l
4. Dr. Horrible - 20l
5. Dcalnan - 20l
6. Tommy - 20l
7. BrewDorg - 20l
8. Bzfeale80 - 20l
9. Cambrinus - 20l
10. Alan - 10L

That gives us 190L.  My buddy Alan is seeing if there's any more interest with some other brewers he knows, but unless they commit we need to be looking to brew 22/23L each to be sure.  I'd advise everyone have some malt extract spare to throw into the boil just in case so we can make sure we hit volumes and gravity reasonably - we want to make sure we're over 9% or so to avoid having another infected barrel!
As regards topping up, we'll see how we get on with volumes.  I might add my batch last and if there's any left over, I'll keg it up and add it to the barrel whenever required.  Do I remember something about Garry topping up with cans of something or other?

LordEoin

Just remember to brew to ~22liters as there'll be waste, spillage, trub, etc.
It'd be best to have all beers crashed and  moved to secondary off the trub before transport to the barrel.

Cambrinus

Is there a preference on yeast yet? S-04, Notty, WLP007 or either?

LordEoin

mr hoppy

Dr Horrible

Just ordered some WLP007 last night together with some sachets of Notty in case something goes wrong with the starter (not that that has ever happened!).  Really wouldn't trust S-04 on a beer that big, think it would drop out early and leave something undrinkably sweet.

tommy

Quote from: Dr Horrible on June 16, 2017, 11:09:14 AM
Just ordered some WLP007 last night together with some sachets of Notty in case something goes wrong with the starter (not that that has ever happened!).  Really wouldn't trust S-04 on a beer that big, think it would drop out early and leave something undrinkably sweet.
I've used US-04 lately for a wee heavy started 1.100 and finished down at 1.024 so I wouldn't have any fear of it finishing up too early. It does flocculate really well and there's no need for cold crashing. You would need 2-3 weeks fermentation time though.
Getting into brewing to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish......

LordEoin

i thought s-04 tended to shit itself around 9%.
probably why your FG is so high.
I see carbonation problems for that beer.

if people are so adamant to substitute important parts of the recipe like yeast, I wonder what other cut corners will end up affecting everyone else's share.

Cambrinus

I'll do same. S-04 won't cut it I'd say.

Cambrinus

mr hoppy

Quote from: LordEoin on June 16, 2017, 12:44:00 PM
I wonder what other cut corners will end up affecting everyone else's share.

Quite, I hope people have plans in place to avoid infection considering the warm weather.

johnrm

Oh f.off Eoin, I'll buy fresh hops this time then  :)

mr hoppy

I was thinking just filling a fermenter with this

Can't beat quality.

Should I bother pouring it out of the cans into the barrel? Someone else do that for me, right?