• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:24:45 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

American Shopping List

Started by Sorcerers Apprentice, November 13, 2014, 11:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcerers Apprentice

I'm heading to Orlando Florida over the Christmas period, and am looking to buy myself some treats while over there, and take them back as luggage, saves on P&P charges and gives me an option to deal with sellers who wont ship outside the states. I'm going to contact the hotel and ask if some goods can be delivered, and to see if they will hold onto them for me until I arrive. I will be there for one week and I'm presuming that the mail system may be overloaded around the Christmas, and it might be better to order the gear in advance, to make sure its all delivered before I leave.
I'm thinking of a couple of Chugger pumps, possibly a bottling wand and maybe a false bottom for my 10 gallon Igloo cooler. Are there any suggestions that I might have missed out on, that are either only available in the states or substantially cheaper over there?
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

delzep

Bubbles

It tends to be the big ticket items that get my interest on the American homebrew shop sites. Stuff like mash tuns, boilers, kegerators etc.

Would you consider some of the cool Blichmann stuff - that's got to be cheaper buying directly - beer gun, hop rocket, plate chiller..?

Sorcerers Apprentice

November 13, 2014, 12:57:50 PM #3 Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:24:16 PM by Sorcerers Apprentice
I should have pointed out that I currently BIAB but I have a 10 gallon cooler and 2x60 lt kegs for conversion to HLT and Boil kettle, I have a preference for BSP fittings as I don't like the exposed threads on the NPT fittings but there are much more brewing fittings available in NPT. I can get elbows bends etc here but I reckon pickup/dip tubes are better over there, plus sight glass no weld kits etc
Bearing in mind that the items have to fit into a standard suitcase, and asDelzep has pointed out I'll need to include a few pairs of jeans :-)
I'm trying to avoid someone telling me when I get back "Oh you should have picked up an XXXX while you were there, they're a quarter of the price here!!"  ;D

Qs

I'd go for one of those keg filter thingys for dry hopping in the keg that the US shops sell.

Beerbuddha

All there connections for corny kegs, taps,seals, poppets ( universal) dirt cheap.
If your going gas maybe one of those blichman burners can't get em here don't think.
I will pm u my list   ;D

IBD Member

Sorcerers Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions lads, I found this place in Orlando
http://heartshomebrew.com/

Beerbuddha

Can you grab the 23ltr oak barrel O0
IBD Member

Sorcerers Apprentice

Beerbuddha

Well you would be saving on flight ! Win win
IBD Member

lordstilton

Stay away from the beer gun, more hassle than there worth. Go counter pressure filler.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Thanks Lordstilton, I'll have a look at them, on another note I found an old 110V portable  site transformer hidden in the back of my shed, I may incorporate that into the brew frame giving me an option on 110 v Chuggers, which are easier to pick up stateside and that bit safer

Beerbuddha

On the conversation of filling units quickish question about filling......when fermentation is complete i crash cool to 2C then i steralize keg purge with Co2 and then transfere from fermenter .........when keg full place lid and purge any remaining oxygen in head space.....question is....when i connect keg to c02 with 35psi over 3.5 mins i shake the bejaysus ot of the keg to help dissolve gas into solution so im woundering if this is gonna cause me haze issues and head retention issues later ? I read that after beer foams in container it causes issues but not sure if the pressure will stop this.... O0
IBD Member

Sorcerers Apprentice

If reckon a gentle rocking back and forward while carbonating is a better option than shaking the bejasus out of it