• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:08:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

water filtration

Started by rje66, December 29, 2014, 06:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

I have a RO system fitted in my kitchen which I bought from Brenmurph. It has a separate tap that I drilled a hole in the metal sink and fitted and has a 3 Gallon collection tank to slowly collect the water as it filters through 3 types of filter. It does waste water as has being pointed out and it strips everything leaving just H2O. It tastes much better than what comes from the tap. To brew with it is a bit awkward as it takes a while to collect 30 litres because the holding tank only builds up slowly and maxs out around 12 litres a time. But if you are brewing with it you have a blank slate to add back the exact minerals you want for the beer you are brewing. For regular brewing the household one is not really practicable :).     
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

rje66

Quote from: johnrm on December 31, 2014, 10:59:52 AM
Also, consider 1/2 Campden tablet per 25l overnight to clear out ine/ide (whichever)
Will give this a go,  just need to be a bit better organised...
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

RichC

As Brian says the output from the household one is very slow.  I don't brew very often so it does me. I fill 5Litre containers in advance so I need to plan at least 2 days because of the slow fill form the RO tap, however the water can be stored for long periods. Ive stored it for over 6 months in 5L bottles and it was still perfect, and it makes an excellent blank slate fro creating your desired water profile

Sorcerers Apprentice

Just remember that it not only strips salts but all minerals so you should always supplement yeast propagation by adding yeast food, including zinc and magnesium as distinct from adding spent yeast, particularly if you intend to crop the yeast
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others