• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:43 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ginger Beer - Recipe Required

Started by mac2k, March 01, 2017, 04:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac2k

Hi all,

I was looking at this old Ginger beer thread http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/all-grain-brewing/ginger-beer-51/ and I was thinking of making some up for the Summer.  Has anyone stuck with it and made a few batches?  I wondering if there might be a recipe out there that someone would be happy to share.

Cheers,

TheSumOfAllBeers

Haven't done it in a while. But the basic principle of making a decent base beer like a pale ale works. You can have hints of ginger and whacks of ginger. The ginger will never be dominated by any other ingredient, but you can probably forget about making a subtly balanced beer.

Go simple, make a pale ale add loads of ginger towards the end. Ferment with some clean yeast. Carbonate well.

It can probably take some interesting hopping, but I would go with low IBU and skip the dry hop.

You can dry hop with ginger, but you will risk sanitation etc. Make a tincture or a cordial, this may allow more fiery flavours to come through.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Heres one I did, its a Ginga Ninja Clone.
Left it for a good few months and it was crystal clear and the ginger settled down.  I'd recommend doing it now for this Summer.
Its one I'll be doing again.

Ginga Ninga Clone               BREWDAY FRIDAY 4TH DECEMEBER 2015

Grain Bill:
4kg Pale Ale Malt
500g Wheat Malt
100 Cara Malt
Boil Additions:
60 min   25g 2013 Admiral Pellet
   150g fresh grated ginger
   ½ tsp Chilli Flakes
15min   ½ whirlfloc
0 min   25g Challenger
   300g fresh grated ginger
   25g lemon zest (I added zest of 3)

Brewday Friday 4th Decemeber 2015
   Mash Volume: 16ltr – Sparge Volume: 12.5ltr
   US-05 Fermented at 18 degrees.
   OG 22LTRS @ 1054
Bottled Thursday 17th December 2015
   Batch Primed 106g Dextrose
   FG 1012 = 5.51% + .5% batch prime = 6%
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

TheSumOfAllBeers

That's a good recipe, clean and safe. Ginger in 2 additions, and no ginger in the cold side. But too high strength I think

mac2k

So the Recipe I went with was extract based and based on Irish Goats with a couple of tweaks, so I could call it my own :)

1.1Kg Ginger - Thank you Aldi :) Peeled, the pulped in a food processor.  About 900g into FV.
750g Brewing Sugar
250g Dark brown Sugar
500g Light DMW
500g Wheat DME
150g Sultanas
4 Oranges - Zest and Pulp, no pith
2 Lemons - Zest and Juice

1tsp Cream of Tarter
2tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp Pectolase

Yeast = US-05   The US-05 really went to work on the sugars, was very surprised to see the rapid drop after only 6 days.

18/3 OG=1.040, Racked to secondary 24/3 SG=1.006 - still a very small bit of activity in the Airlock.  Will leave it for a week before bottling to make sure it's all done.  Will Bottle condition until Summer, if it ever arrives.

Tasted the sample and there was a nice ginger taste without being hot. Nice Golden colour. Think this might be a really good BBQ beer.

mac2k

Quote from: mac2k on March 24, 2017, 10:48:16 AM
So the Recipe I went with was extract based and based on Irish Goats with a couple of tweaks, so I could call it my own :)

1.1Kg Ginger - Thank you Aldi :) Peeled, the pulped in a food processor.  About 900g into FV.
750g Brewing Sugar
250g Dark brown Sugar
500g Light DMW
500g Wheat DME
150g Sultanas
4 Oranges - Zest and Pulp, no pith
2 Lemons - Zest and Juice

1tsp Cream of Tarter
2tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp Pectolase

20L into FV

Yeast = US-05   The US-05 really went to work on the sugars, was very surprised to see the rapid drop after only 6 days.

18/3 OG=1.040, Racked to secondary 24/3 SG=1.006 - still a very small bit of activity in the Airlock.  Will leave it for a week before bottling to make sure it's all done.  Will Bottle condition until Summer, if it ever arrives.

Tasted the sample and there was a nice ginger taste without being hot. Nice Golden colour. Think this might be a really good BBQ beer.

DEMPSEY

bump here @fishjam45(Colin) just like to know if this recipe of yours worked out in the end.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: DEMPSEY on April 15, 2021, 10:22:47 AMbump here @fishjam45(Colin) just like to know if this recipe of yours worked out in the end.
Yep, I remember everyone liked it that tried it. Turned out well balanced in the end, not too much "ginger burn". I wouldn't make any changes to it if I were to brew it again.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Gazza

I made this beauty before Christmas, the women loved it. This has serious bite.
It benefits a lot from sitting in the keg for about 2 month.

1.2 Kg ginger root (Lidl), chopped and pulped.
3 Lt cloudy apple juice (Lidl)
6 lemons. Rind from 3, juiced all 6.
2 Kg table sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp yeast nutriment
3 handfuls chopped raisons (just in case)
Yeast: M44. Anything will do including Champagne yeast.
1 bottle Riddles Flaming Hot Ginger essence (125 ml)
2 vanilla pods (sliced)
1 habenanero chilli

In a large pot add the ginger and just cover with water. Add lemon juice and rind. Boil for 30 minutes.

Chill and add to fermenter.
Add apple juice and cold waterto bring to 23 Lt.
Add raisons, yeast nutriment and cream of tartar.

When fermentation is complete add Riddles Flaming Hot Ginger essence, vanilla pods and chilli.

Back sweeten with 0.5 lactose.

OG: 1.040
FG: 0.992 (lactose pushes this up to 1.012)

ABV: 6.3%