• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:07:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

SURPLUS KIT YEAST

Started by MUL-BRU, August 03, 2015, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUL-BRU

How do all,
it is the general consensus that if brewing from a KIT you should upgrade the yeast.
Well I have been doing this now for a few Brews and am now wondering, what do I do with the discarded yeast?
It would be a pity to dump it.....I have a couple of sachets in the fridge.
Your views please.

irish_goat

You can use yeast as a yeast nutrient. I normally dump a little bit of yeast slurry into the boil for this reason.

MUL-BRU

Quote from: irish_goat on August 03, 2015, 02:54:09 PM
You can use yeast as a yeast nutrient. I normally dump a little bit of yeast slurry into the boil for this reason.
Ya wha now? Please note...youre replying to a KIT BREWER here

irish_goat

Quote from: MUL-BRU on August 03, 2015, 03:44:25 PM

You can still use it for a kit brew as well, just bung the yeast into a pot of boiling water and then use that boiling water as you would when you're mixing your kit up. Boiling yeast breaks down the cells, which releases the nutrients inside them. The yeast you pitch later can then use these nutrients for growth.

MUL-BRU

Quote from: irish_goat on August 03, 2015, 03:49:27 PM
Quote from: MUL-BRU on August 03, 2015, 03:44:25 PM

You can still use it for a kit brew as well, just bung the yeast into a pot of boiling water and then use that boiling water as you would when you're mixing your kit up. Boiling yeast breaks down the cells, which releases the nutrients inside them. The yeast you pitch later can then use these nutrients for growth.

Awwwww, cheers, thanks for that....will do.

LordEoin

Quote from: MUL-BRU on August 03, 2015, 02:47:58 PM
How do all,
it is the general consensus that if brewing from a KIT you should upgrade the yeast.
Well I have been doing this now for a few Brews and am now wondering, what do I do with the discarded yeast?
It would be a pity to dump it.....I have a couple of sachets in the fridge.
Your views please.
It depends on the yeast. Some of its perfectly fine  clean fermenting yeast

johnrm

You could put it in the boil as a yeast nutrient if you weren't inclined to use it.

Bubbles

I'd keep it in the fridge. It's always handy to have a sachet in the fridge to restart stuck fermentations.

Eoin

I'd keep it as a backup, I've had it happen that I've broken my thermometer in the starter.
Rather than have nothing to pitch at a batch I'd pitch dry yeast at it.