• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:57:17 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"TIP OF THE DAY" a thread to educate by our mistakes

Started by Leann ull, August 13, 2015, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

One of my early big ones, never pour boiling water into a glass carboy the base will shatter clean off

Leann ull

Always close the valves or tap of the vessel you are filling, i'm still doing it :-[
I now try where possible to reverse fill!

Leann ull

When counter pressure bottle filling slowly remove stem as otherwise you end out with a lovely spray of beer all over you

Leann ull

when formulating recipes for grain and hop additions mark off with a pen, completely missed a 10 min hop addition a couple of brews back, now they are all laid out with mins written on plastic bag

delzep

jawalemon

Be careful with your hop bag doesn't get caught around an element during the boil. I had to ditch a batch after this happened.

Will_D

When bottle conditioning always fill a 500 ml (or same size as the bottles) lucozade bottle as well. Leave an inch of head space, squezze the air out and screw on the cap.

That way you can see if the sugar has disolved (if not using a bottling bucket and batch priming), and then visually track fermentation and by squeezing the bottle see how much carbing is going on!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Hop Bomb

Good tip for all the fly spargers:  Instead of sparging your full volume of water through the mash, shoot for 10 - 15% lower efficiency than your true brew house efficiency when designing your beer. Just sparge to 70% of your full pre boil volume & take a gravity reading. It'll be higher than what you'd normally get. Thats good. Now top up your wort with hot water from your HLT to hit your numbers & volume. Saves time on sparging & you only extract the best from the grain. All it costs you is a bit more grain which is cheap.

Also, measure the temp of your sparge water where it comes into contact with the grain bed. It can often be too cold. Ive a 5 degree drop in temp from my HLT through my pump & hoses. So my HLT water is at 83c these days for sparging.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

pob

As per hop additions; when weighing out your grain before crushing, mark them off as you weigh them, as they all look very similar, when you're pouring them into a bucket before crushing, "Did I add the Wheat Malt to that?"

Leann ull

When locating the temp probe in your keezer, put it 1/3 the way down, at the top and your kegs and beer will freeze.

pob

Quote from: Ciderhead on August 13, 2015, 02:12:39 PM
When locating the temp probe in your keezer, put it 1/3 the way down, at the top and your kegs and beer will freeze.
& creating a now TradeMarked process for brewing great lagers

Bubbles

Quote from: Ciderhead on August 13, 2015, 01:21:31 PM
Always close the valves or tap of the vessel you are filling, i'm still doing it :-[

+1,

From personal experience, I can combine this one with "Don't drink while brewing..".

Bubbles

Take the temperature of your wort before pitching your yeast. Don't assume anything!

Bubbles

Invest a few bob in a good thermometer - mash temperature, pitching temperature and fermentation temperature are the main difference between good beer and shit beer.

DEMPSEY

Remember to remove the blockers that are inside those Aldi hose connectors before using them with your chugger pump. Stops you cursing the pump :-[
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us