• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:37:08 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"TIP OF THE DAY" a thread to educate by our mistakes

Started by Leann ull, August 13, 2015, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCBrewer

Quote from: Bubbles on August 13, 2015, 03:18:36 PM
Invest a few bob in a good thermometer - mash temperature, pitching temperature and fermentation temperature are the main difference between good beer and shit beer.

Any recommendations for a 'good thermometer'?
I have a couple of cheap ones thata re doing the job, but I don't know how reliable they are

Hop Bomb

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

nigel_c

Until you can do it in your sleep , lay off the beers till after the brewday. 

Bubbles

Quote from: PCBrewer on August 13, 2015, 03:39:37 PM
Quote from: Bubbles on August 13, 2015, 03:18:36 PM
Invest a few bob in a good thermometer - mash temperature, pitching temperature and fermentation temperature are the main difference between good beer and shit beer.

Any recommendations for a 'good thermometer'?
I have a couple of cheap ones thata re doing the job, but I don't know how reliable they are

I would recommend the Thermapen:
http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-Super-Fast-Professional-Thermocouple-Thermometer/dp/B008JG4S78

Not cheap, by any stretch, but they're accurate and reliable. I got mine off Nisbets.ie, but they don't seem to stock them anymore. I'm sure you'd be able to find an alternative Irish supplier with a quick google.

Oh Crap

Quote from: Bubbles on August 13, 2015, 03:14:38 PM
Quote from: Ciderhead on August 13, 2015, 01:21:31 PM
Always close the valves or tap of the vessel you are filling, i'm still doing it :-[

+1,

From personal experience, I can combine this one with "Don't drink while brewing..".
+1
This is obviously a common occurance
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

molc

Don't buy any shiny toys until you have proper fermentation temp control. You can pretty much do everything wrong and still make ok beer when you let the yeasties do their thing.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Shanna

1. Don't use boiling hot water with plastic bottling wands as they melt really easily.
2. Add oats hulls or similar hulls to buffer the grist when using a large % of rye (> 20%) or wheat malt ( > 30%). Both these malts tend to disintegrate when crushed as they have little or no useful husk. The addition of the hulls will help prevent a stuck sparge.
3. When using a large HLT for boiling water, stir your water before using it to ensure that the water temperature is consistent. Befor doing this I would get wildly different temperatures reported by the dial thermometer built in to my HLT and the temperature readings I took at the top of the HLT and also in the water temperature that ended up in the mash tun.
4. If you get scorching on your element when doing high gravity beers, clean your elements afterwards with some kind of cleaner and a brush. Accumulated burnt on wort will carbonised further over time, this will overheat your elements and contribute to your electricity supply tripping out. It can however lend a certain "je ne sais quoi" to Scotch ales :) If you get really bad burnt on wort use the back of a knife to scrape it off the elements.
5. Buy some paint strainer bags and boil them for around 10 minutes or so before each use of them to contain pellet or leaf hops for dry hopping. It makes removing the hops a breeze afterwards.
6. When using a connical flask for making up wort for a starter pay attention when mixing DME with water as its easy to create a glue like substance that will burn in a heart beat.

Shanna

Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

Quote from: Shanna on August 13, 2015, 05:54:07 PM
6. When using a connical flask for making up wort for a starter pay attention when mixing DME with water as its easy to create a glue like substance that will burn in a heart beat
I mix the dme with boiling water before adding to the flask.

pob

Quote from: molc on August 13, 2015, 05:36:53 PM
Don't buy any shiny toys until you have proper fermentation temp control. You can pretty much do everything wrong and still make ok beer when you let the yeasties do their thing.
+1

This is the absolutely the first item you need to invest in. It will turn kits from average to good beer (& stunning when you get to AG)

Secondly, buy yourself some StarSan, makes life a lot easier.

pob

4. If you get scorching on your element when doing high gravity beers, clean your elements afterwards with some kind of cleaner and a brush. Accumulated burnt on wort will carbonised further over time, this will overheat your elements and contribute to your electricity supply tripping out. It can however lend a certain "je ne sais quoi" to Scotch ales :) If you get really bad burnt on wort use the back of a knife to scrape it off the elements.

Tip from a fellow GCBrewer, rub half a lemon on the elements to clean. The citric acid helps dissolve the burnt wort. Overnight soak with Oxi (or similar) for really bad stuff.

armedcor

Quote from: pob on August 13, 2015, 07:12:17 PM

Tip from a fellow GCBrewer, rub half a lemon on the elements to clean. The citric acid helps dissolve the burnt wort. Overnight soak with Oxi (or similar) for really bad stuff.

Citric does wonders for elements. You can buy tubs of it for crazy cheap in pharmacies.

Shanna

Quote from: armedcor on August 13, 2015, 07:17:14 PM
Quote from: pob on August 13, 2015, 07:12:17 PM

Citric does wonders for elements. You can buy tubs of it for crazy cheap in pharmacies.
In my experience it does not work on burnt on carbonised wort on an heating element, believe me I have tried it, vwp & also oxy (note not at the same time :))

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

The Mottly Brew

When using glass bottles fill 2 pet bottles so you know when your beer is carbonated.

www.themottlybrew.ie. Join the grainy people we are hopping mad.