• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:05:07 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"TIP OF THE DAY" a thread to educate by our mistakes

Started by Leann ull, August 13, 2015, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Somebody posted here a few week back and I cant't find the original thread to thank them.
Double concentration starsan to cover elements after a boil soaked overnight like the lemon juice shifts everything, thankyou whoever it was.

Partridge9

interesting

never knew you could use starsan for cleaning !

Leann ull

you can't as I doen't remove fats but I guess cos its acid like the lemon juice, by god its removes crap off an element incl beerstone

Sorcerers Apprentice

My tip is to go to a pharmacy and buy some tincture of Iodine to perform a mash conversion test before mashing out. It will reduce the likelihood of the "why is my fermentation stuck at ....." Questions. Especially if using coloured malts or other adjuncts which need the malt enzymes to convert them. Even with the latest automated equipment we still did iodine tests!
https://byo.com/mead/item/1435-successful-mash-conversion-tips-from-the-pros
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

delzep

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on August 15, 2015, 03:20:10 PM
My tip is to go to a pharmacy and buy some tincture of Iodine to perform a mash conversion test before mashing out. It will reduce the likelihood of the "why is my fermentation stuck at ....." Questions. Especially if using coloured malts or other adjuncts which need the malt enzymes to convert them. Even with the latest automated equipment we still did iodine tests!
https://byo.com/mead/item/1435-successful-mash-conversion-tips-from-the-pros

Get one with an eye-dropper

bachus

* not keeping records - when I started out I not saved my recipe 'step-by-step' so I don't know now how I made two very good batches
* not waited long enough- cider? sure it is good after two weeks... Mead? Of course it is drinkable after three months...
* not aerating...
* not controlling fermentation temperature
* worrying too much: more fun!
Dominik (bachus)

Leann ull

make sure you rinse off Starsan from your autosiphon it eats the polycarbonate tube.

Leann ull

Simon_

Label the in/out gas/beer connections on your cornys if they aren't already.

Keep track of what beer is in what keg

Leann ull

Mr D gave me the idea of using plant labels to label your cornies, fix to the pressure pull ring with a cable tie or fishing line through the hole in the planter label. Great for recording what it was and when it was kegged.
Then wipe clean with starsan or when you are cleaning with detergent

hassettbrew

Pre heat your mash tun. Just pour one liter of boiled water and empty before  pouring strike water

delzep

Quote from: Ciderhead on August 15, 2015, 11:51:19 PM
Mr D gave me the idea of using plant labels to label your cornies, fix to the pressure pull ring with a cable tie or fishing line through the hole in the planter label. Great for recording what it was and when it was kegged.

These are handy too

Can be put onto the taps too

molc

Quote from: delzep on August 16, 2015, 12:16:45 AM
Quote from: Ciderhead on August 15, 2015, 11:51:19 PM

These are handy too

Can be put onto the taps too
I just use masking tape on my kegs. Type of beer and date of kegging. Hasn't failed me yet:)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

imark

Quote from: molc on August 16, 2015, 12:20:22 AM
I just use masking tape on my kegs. Type of beer and date of kegging. Hasn't failed me yet:)
+1 works great

imark

Use your old malt to make wort for starters. If it's really manky just dump it. But stale-ish malt is fine for starters and saves on expensive DME.