• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:37:15 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"TIP OF THE DAY" a thread to educate by our mistakes

Started by Leann ull, August 13, 2015, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

When milling grain into a builders bucket, always make sure you have it centered otherwise you get a lovely pile down one side

Leann ull

September 01, 2015, 10:10:45 PM #61 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:22:01 PM by Ciderhead
Try to use Beersmith Mr Malty etc or some other online software to work out your yeast starter sizes and pitch rates, and always carry a spare packet of 05 or similar to chuck in just in case you have a disaster and your starter doesn't kick off otherwise it will end in  :'(

delzep

Leann ull

I don't my 05 gets chucked into boil as nutrient every 6 months, wish DoubleG was closer he'd be welcome to mine

molc

Requesting tips on starters. My usual dual method is to grow mine twice. First 1L pitch to get the vial active 3 days before the brew, then recant and a 2L starter 1 day before brewing, so I can pitch around peak activity. Also overbuild to save 600ml of clean yeast for the next step.
Any other approaches.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Simon_

Sounds like best practice from what I've read and it's what I do.

Did you read this 'shake it like fuck, once' method? Sounds logical. Lots of O2 trapped in the foam.

Paul B

Quote from: Ciderhead on September 02, 2015, 12:13:11 AM
I don't my 05 gets chucked into boil as nutrient every 6 months, wish DoubleG was closer he'd be welcome to mine

Dry yeast denier eh? Might have to start a James Randi style reward for anyone who can blind taste the difference between 05 and 001 ;)

Tom

Quote from: Simon F on September 02, 2015, 09:38:02 AM
Sounds like best practice from what I've read and it's what I do.

Did you read this 'shake it like fuck, once' method? Sounds logical. Lots of O2 trapped in the foam.

Just read the whole way through that thread. Thanks for flagging it up. I prefer the idea over a stirred starter for so many cheap-ass reasons, and I distrust smelly yeast.

Leann ull

Quote from: pdb on September 02, 2015, 09:56:53 AM
Quote from: Ciderhead on September 02, 2015, 12:13:11 AM

Dry yeast denier eh? Might have to start a James Randi style reward for anyone who can blind taste the difference between 05 and 001 ;)

Piece of p that one packet strips everything