• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:34:42 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewing in winter

Started by 2401keith, June 28, 2016, 10:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2401keith

Iv only started brewing this so called summer and it's been ok so far iv got a little fridge! with the mad temp different we are having the shed hitting 28 some days how is winter brewing a lot better wit temp any advice would be great iv got it all going on in the shed the wife doesn't no wats going on in the shed that was full of crap 6 months ago

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

darren996

Depends what your brewing. If you are brewing ales you need to maintain 18 to 22 degrees +, so you will need a heat source in your fridge.  Kolsch around 15 degrees and lagers around 7 to 14. 

The key is to be able to hit and maintain your temps. 

You have the fridge or fermentation chamber,  you also need a heat source and a controller like the stc1000 or an inkbird. Then you don't have to worry about temps, just set the controller and away you go.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

2401keith

thanks for that! now I'm only brewing kits and enjoying it i was thinking ov trying all grain i take it everyone stars on kits and moves up to all grain I'm i mad i have beer smith but i don't really understand it as i said I'm new to this  its all about% is there any good books or is it all down to learning as u go along any advice would be great

darren996

Must people start out with kits,  then extract then all grain. I did a few kits then went to all grain using biab method. Biab is a great way to get into all grain as you need less kit.

Start with something simple like a blonde Ale or with an all grain recipe kit from one of the brew shops.

John Palmers book 'how to brew'  is a great read.  Its also online for free.

The main thing is to enjoy it and have fun with it and at the end to have something decent to drink.

Are there any clubs near you?  This will be the best way to progress and learn

2401keith

I live in drogheda I see lads meet in dundalk

Simon_

I ferment everything in fridges in a shed. Summer or winter shouldn't matter with temp control. As well as your fridge you need an stc-1000 and a heat source. Most people use these light rod things(?) or brew belts. I use FermWrap. Fridge and heat source both plug into stc-1000. You set your desired temp. If its too cold the heat source turns on until it hits the desired temp. If it's too hot the fridge turns on until it hits desired temp.

Fermentation control is really helpful for fermenting consistently so you should get it sorted sooner than later and all the 2 parts you need are cheap. You already have the fridge.

2401keith

darren996

You're well sorted..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

2401keith

Thanks for the advice

helmet

Quote from: 2401keith on June 30, 2016, 07:51:48 AM
I live in drogheda I see lads meet in dundalk

Next meeting will be in the Cross in Drogheda next Friday at 9. Get yourself down to it!