• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:34:38 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"Forget the Guinness publicity shots, drinks giant Diageo doesn't need us"

Started by Bubbles, June 18, 2013, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

QuoteThere is undoubtedly no company which is more closely associated with Ireland than Guinness in most foreigners' minds. Whether this is a good thing or not is for others to decide but there is no doubt that it is something of a one-sided relationship.

Like a love-struck teenager, government after government has done everything it could to promote Guinness on the world stage. As the latest comments about brewing Guinness outside Ireland show, the thanks for all that free advertising has been icy indifference. Going on the past, we should not be too surprised.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/thomas-molloy/forget-the-guinness-publicity-shots-drinks-giant-diageo-doesnt-need-us-29349481.html

Interesting article about Guinness and Diageo. It makes me think about all the excellent and mostly under-appreciated stouts produced in this country. If only we had an annual "Love Irish Stout" festival. Maybe the NHC should start one!  :)

DEMPSEY

Diageo like Heineken is a business and like any business there is no real romance :(. They will do what they believe is best for them. 
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

CB_Phil

Interesting article alright. I think Diagio needs Ireland as much as Ireland needs Guinness!
For us its tourism (Guinness Store House is one of the most popular tourist attractions we have) & jobs, well, that one speaks for itself.
They need us, as alot of drinkers of Guinness throu'out the world do so because of the Irish connection above any other reason. People wouldnt have the same connection to drinking it if it no longer had ties to here & I bet their sales would drop.

Never a fan of Murphys or Bemish, always a Guinness. In saying that I totally agree about the 'Love Irish Stout' fest, their are far superior Irish stouts, Blackrock for one & hopefully the one Ive got brewing upstairs  8)

johnrm

Bubbles

Quote from: johnrm on June 18, 2013, 11:16:05 PM
Sure there was a stout fest in Cork a few weeks ago...
http://www.corknow.ie/stout-fest-2013-murphys/

Pretty cool. Pity there's just Murphy on sale though.

I'm surprised someone hasn't organised something like this for all of Ireland's stout producers, celebrating our national beverage. Think of the potential exposure around St. Patricks Day, with all those tourists. Instead, what do we have? F'ing octoberfest...  :(

johnrm

I think its Heinekens attempt to grab the title of The National Stout.
In fairness, Diageo do the Cork Jazz, right on Heino's doorstep.

I'm in the Netherlands right now, flying back to the sod.
I'm in Schiphol Lounge right now having an Amstel 'cos the Heino draft ran out.
Another Heino brand.

I had a few good beers last night in The Netherlands, all Belgians...

CB_Phil

Quote from: johnrm on June 19, 2013, 05:37:03 PM
I think its Heinekens attempt to grab the title of The National Stout.
In fairness, Diageo do the Cork Jazz, right on Heino's doorstep.

I'm in the Netherlands right now, flying back to the sod.
I'm in Schiphol Lounge right now having an Amstel 'cos the Heino draft ran out.
Another Heino brand.

I had a few good beers last night in The Netherlands, all Belgians...

was there Monday, was having Murphys Irish Red, never heard of it, but nice stuff, like Smithwicks but a bit more body.

johnrm

If you like it, you should aim to create this yourself!

I had a Palm Speciale, a very nice Amber.

CB_Phil

Quote from: johnrm on June 20, 2013, 11:41:24 AM
If you like it, you should aim to create this yourself!

I had a Palm Speciale, a very nice Amber.

I plan a porter next, but will have a look into it, very drinkable as shown by me stumbling off the stool to get to my flight  :D

wallacebiy

Quote from: Bubbles on June 19, 2013, 10:19:35 AM
Quote from: johnrm on June 18, 2013, 11:16:05 PM
Sure there was a stout fest in Cork a few weeks ago...
http://www.corknow.ie/stout-fest-2013-murphys/

Pretty cool. Pity there's just Murphy on sale though.

I'm surprised someone hasn't organised something like this for all of Ireland's stout producers, celebrating our national beverage. Think of the potential exposure around St. Patricks Day, with all those tourists. Instead, what do we have? F'ing octoberfest...  :(

They had O Hara's stout too on the menu I saw ....