• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:12:28 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Craft Beer Shopping in Northern Ireland

Started by acaoshes, December 22, 2013, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acaoshes

I was looking at the impressive 4 for £5 and 4 for £6 offers that Asda and Tesco offer on their UK websites.

Some of the beers scored very highly on ratebeer. As I live in Louth I couldn't resist and travelled to Tesco in Banbridge and Asda in Portadown.

I was a bit let down to be honest. Both stores were large superstores. Tesco Banbridge had 2 vertical shelves for craft beer. Asda Portadown had only 1 vertical shelf for craft beer. Most of the space was given over to wine and spirits.

Does anyone know of other Asda or Tesco stores in NI with a proper selection of craft beer?

irish_goat

Bit out of your way but the Sainsburys in Derry has a decent selection.

Bazza

Sainsburys at Forestside, Belfast has a reasonably decent selection and there're always offers.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Yeah Banbridge tesco isn't great but the tesco near Forestside has a good range of beers. They'd lambics last time I was in!

acaoshes

It appears to me now that the Tesco Extra outlets have the better beer selection than the superstores. Is this a fair observation?

sub82

Not sure - I would have thought it might depend on a store's customers and if they will buy the stuff. Have you tried using their Click & Collect service for any of the particular beers?

Rats

I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

sub82

Not sure if they do. Would it have been a Bacchus beer?

irish_goat

Definitely the Baccus, cherry and raspberry flavours usually available in the bigger stores.

acaoshes

Quote from: ratsathome on December 23, 2013, 10:34:25 AM
acaoshes where in Louth are you?

I'm in the glamorous metropolis of Ardee and 20mins from Newry. Next store to inspect is Tesco Extra in Newry (only opened in 2013).

Rats

Tesco in Drogheda normally have a few,but now the wine has taken over for the xmas
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

acaoshes

Agree that Tesco ROI can have a good selection. Although the special offer in Asda is fantastic - 4 for £5. Tesco NI is good at 4 for £6. All I have to do now is find a NI store with the full selection and hit it for one big score.

sub82

Quote from: acaoshes on December 23, 2013, 01:07:53 PM
I'm in the glamorous metropolis of Ardee and 20mins from Newry. Next store to inspect is Tesco Extra in Newry (only opened in 2013).

The one in newry is a good shout - it's pretty big but I haven't been in yet so no idea what they stock.

acaoshes

Quote from: sub82 on December 23, 2013, 09:57:53 AM
Not sure - I would have thought it might depend on a store's customers and if they will buy the stuff. Have you tried using their Click & Collect service for any of the particular beers?

Thanks for this idea. Looked into it but have to have a NI address before I can setup a UK Tesco account to qualify for Click and Collect. Even then you are just getting the contents of the specific store and if their beer selection is bad, then your order won't be filled.