• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:02:45 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Bulldog triple tykes special export ale review

Started by Thomo, November 11, 2013, 10:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomo

November 11, 2013, 10:07:25 AM Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:33:21 PM by Thomo
This is the free Kit I got.

The kit was really easy to do. it only requires mixing the wort bag with water and top up to the 23 ltr mark and leaving it to ferment. No messing with adding any sugars or malts to ferment. The only extra that is required is to make a hop tea after 4 days and add that plus the hop bag. Leave it to ferment for 8 days then do the horrible part and bottle. I bulk primed mine. My OG and SG where both on the mark which left me with a beer of 5.3%.

I left the bottles for 2 weeks before before sampling and was very happy with the results. I got a very nice ale. Very drinkable from an early age. I had no off flavours or aromas. The ale got much better with age and developed in to a very good northen ale after a month to 6 weeks it was excellent, a lot better than a lot of commercial beers I have tried.

I took it to the last Wicklow club meet and it was well received and has been given the seal of approval by a few friends who are none homebrewers.

I have previously done coopers and muntons kits and this was the best by far. I couldn't recommend this kit more highly.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/triple-tykes-special-export-ale-40-kg-beer-kit-2786-p.asp

Ciderhead

I concur, although not into bitter, it tasted great for a kit, Thanks for posting Thomo.

LordEoin

I think I tasted one of the ones that Garry brewed and it was good.
Cheers for the review, I've it linked off the sticky now :)

Garry

I did that kit too. I don't think my gravity finished as low as yours but I ended up with around 4.6%abv anyway.

When did you do the brew? I found that it took a while to condition properly so put a few bottles aside to test in a few months. Mines all gone now  :(

They are very quick to brew. I'm thinking of trying another one soon because I don't have much time for brewing  >:(

@LordEoin, I'm getting old; I don't remember giving you a bottle of this one? But I'm glad you enjoyed it  :P

LordEoin

wasn't it one of those 3 you gave me?
maybe i had it in the well so...
i dunno

Garry

Quote from: LordEoin on November 11, 2013, 03:13:15 PM
wasn't it one of those 3 you gave me?

I don't think so?

Quote from: LordEoin on November 11, 2013, 03:13:15 PM
maybe i had it in the well so...

Possibly, you can't expect me to remember that  :P

Thomo

I did the brew a few months back. I had emailed the review in a month ago but got no reply.

Its all gone now. Was enjoying it to much to keep any back. I'd def do this kit again. A mate of mine did the Hammer of Thor and he was really happy with that.

Garry

I did the Cerveza kit during the summer for my buddies. I thought is was plain enough but the lads loved it. It was all drank 5 or 6 weeks after I brewed it! They keep asking me to do another batch.

LordEoin

No bother's about the wait. We're brewers and used to waiting :D
Hammer of Thor sounds familiar in a good way