• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 18, 2024, 03:13:54 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Shit Irish Breweries

Started by baphomite51, September 21, 2014, 08:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taf

Quote from: mr hoppy on December 18, 2014, 10:32:04 PM
Double Irish was 3.25 in Bradley today. :)
Hmm, I suppose that is good news as need to go back in, as drank good bit of last weeks purchase. 

Oh Crap

Sitting in the bar in the "Inn at dromoland"
8 degrees & galway bay bottles in the fridge..
Galway bay €6 500ml
8 degrees €5.25 330ml
Big difference
Buried at sea goes down nicely tho
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

SlugTrap

Quote from: cruiscinlan on December 18, 2014, 10:02:52 AM

I wasn't aware there was a divergence between real ale and craft beer in the UK though, can anyone recommend something to read on it?

Quite a bit of the mainstream UK newspaper coverage mentions it in passing, while CAMRA is having something of a civil war/identity crisis over it - read their op eds/letters to the editor in BEER.

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

Quote from: SlugTrap on December 28, 2014, 02:59:23 AM
Quote from: cruiscinlan on December 18, 2014, 10:02:52 AM

I wasn't aware there was a divergence between real ale and craft beer in the UK though, can anyone recommend something to read on it?

Quite a bit of the mainstream UK newspaper coverage mentions it in passing, while CAMRA is having something of a civil war/identity crisis over it - read their op eds/letters to the editor in BEER.

All except the macro breweries in the UK would count as craft by the US definition (e.g. Fullers, Shepherd Neame etc). The US definition is Small Independent Traditional breweries (where small means fewer than 6 million US barrels per year, traditional means less than 25% owned by a microbrewery, and Traditional means using either traditional or innovative ingredients) http://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/craft-brewer-defined/
Not all craft beer is real ale, but probably all real ale is craft beer so defined. Personally I think the definition of craft beer is hopeless. The soul searching in Camra is about whether to support keg beer from microbreweries as well as real ale.
IBD member