• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 15, 2024, 11:07:07 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Used my

Started by admin, February 13, 2013, 09:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

new Crankenstein (thanks Paul) and hopper (thanks Dempsey) today for the first time with the Irish malt from MCI.

Delighted with the results.

The one piece of advice is set the drill on slow as at high speed the malt is milled a little too finely ending in a fairly gummy mash. I used the electric drill as the battery was flat in the other one.

Ciderhead

February 13, 2013, 10:50:13 PM #1 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:50:37 PM by Ciderhead
150-200rpmĀ  is normal target so that you mill rather than shred or rip. Now don't ask how you can measure that :)

Greg2013

Ciderhead how do you measure that? ::)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Will_D

NERD ALERT:

Do not read if you are any ways alergic to NERDS

-------------------------------------------------------

You have been warned:

I have a contact rpm meter thingy in a blue velvet box with attatchments that can be used to measure the rpm of rotaing things!

I kid you not!

If only I can find it ( those who know me will sympathise )
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

QuoteCiderhead how do you measure that? ::)

Easy I measure the circumference multiply by 150-200 and cut a piece of string that long then I rewind until I find how long it takes to rewind in a minute.
Do I fook, I crank until I can get a burning smell from my drill ;)

JimmyM

stick something out perpandicular to the shaft - then set up your AVR arduino jobby to count how many time the signal is broken between a pair of photo sensors and compare against time
Formerly JamesM.

Damo

I prefer Ciderheads answer :)

Tucan

Tube being a Honda owner I'm surprised you know anything about torque or power  ;D ;D