• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 04:16:34 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Harvest stout w/ coffee, double choc, milk, and vanilla

Started by DrowningManatee, August 21, 2013, 01:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrowningManatee

Harvest Stout kit
1.5kg LME light
500g lactose - 15m boil
130g cocao powder - 15m boil
20g Northern brewer hops - secondary
150g cocao nibs - secondary
1 vanilla pod - secondary
Cold pressed italien coffee - bottling bucket

Gonna stick this on later. i read a few recipes regarding the crazy stout versions and thought id stick 'em all together for the craic.
The nibs are for aroma and the powder is for flavour. The lactose is for a fuller mouthfeel (milk).The vanilla pod enhances the chocolate flavours and the northern brewer has a chocolate tinge too im told. Im sure im mixing too many flavours or else others would be doing the same thing but i thought id risk it with the kit (which i got half price as it was dented). My housemate made an extract kit stout and added coffee and lactose and it tased unreal so im hankering for more now...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Ciderhead

Garry

I think lactose is supposed to be added after fermentation? Maybe add it to the secondary or the bottling bucket when you are batch priming instead.

DrowningManatee

@ ciderhead hehe, it'd be a nice one to start the night with anyways :)

@garry - i read that too but heard conflicting opinions, i think ill just sterilise it with the sugar syrup for bottling so...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

LordEoin

Why cold steep the coffee? Does it keep some roasty bitterness out like with grain?
I wonder would dryhopping with coffee beans (drybeaning™) would work the same...

Hop Bomb

Yeah cold pressing the coffee wont extract any tannins. Thats why temp is so important when pulling an espresso shot.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

irish_goat

I really like the sound of this recipe actually. Might make a lovely after dinner beer. For anyone with Randy Mosher's "Extreme Brewing" he has a good bit on cold steeping coffee beans.

DrowningManatee

Ive been reading 'radical brewing' by mosher too. My housemates stout was just coffee added during the boil and gave a nice roastyness, but with so many flavours competing ill defo go for the softer approach (cold pressed), so it doesnt just overpower the others. You can soak the beans in vodka too but i dont have much of that to spare.
I wonder what that catshit coffee's like for temp etc, could throw in some simcoe hops for that version :) (tho i think simcoe's f'in lovely)
I cant stand the heat anyways so no tannin for me :) Cold and wet's how i like it...
Ive been lazy as usual so not gonna get this on till saturday to coincide with transferring/bottling other brews on the same day.
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Garry

That should be enough time to feed the cat some coffee beans  :P

DrowningManatee

Stuck 180g cacao nibs (2 100g packs from evergreens - 4euro each) and 1 vanilla pod, split down the middle, in a hopsack...
and 25g northern brewer in a hopsack into the fermenter today.
I normally stick em into a secondary but i just didnt bother. Didnt sanitize any o them either but general reports seem to reckon its ok...

I was picking blackberries the other day so im gonna put one gallon into a demijohn w/ 500g blackberries so that'll be 'Chocolate Milk Coffee Blackberry Stout (with vanilla and northern brewer dryhopped)' :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

LordEoin

Just remember to pour plenty of boiling water over them to kill any nasties and wild yeasts.
Otherwise it should be interesting and delicious :)

DrowningManatee

Bottled this yesterday and put the DJ on w/blackberries. 500g blackberries with 1L boiling water poured over, cant wait!
Had a pint of it, nice balanced flavours, put in 100g cold brewed coffee and 500g lactose.
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

googoomuck

Quote from: DrowningManatee on September 11, 2013, 06:19:55 PM
Bottled this yesterday and put the DJ on w/blackberries. 500g blackberries with 1L boiling water poured over, cant wait!
Had a pint of it, nice balanced flavours, put in 100g cold brewed coffee and 500g lactose.
Couple of questions for you, the coffee and lactose was added to the bottling bucket? How did you cold press the coffee? And also where did you get the lactose, was it liquid or powder? A few years ago in work we used to make a coffee syrup with caramel and espresso, could that kill two birds with one stone?

DrowningManatee

I just put 100g ground coffee (some italian blend from aldi) in a hopsack, in 400ml water in a pot, covered it with tinfoil and put it in the fridge for 12hrs. I then took it out, let the hopsack drip, and added the remaining liquid to the beer. My lactose was dry, looks like white DME.

I assume the caramel would ferment out, whereas the lactose is an unfermentable sugar, adding body only, giving it a 'milk' mouthfeel.
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

googoomuck

Quote from: DrowningManatee on September 11, 2013, 09:58:18 PM
I just put 100g ground coffee (some italian blend from aldi) in a hopsack, in 400ml water in a pot, covered it with tinfoil and put it in the fridge for 12hrs. I then took it out, let the hopsack drip, and added the remaining liquid to the beer. My lactose was dry, looks like white DME.

I assume the caramel would ferment out, whereas the lactose is an unfermentable sugar, adding body only, giving it a 'milk' mouthfeel.
Great thanks! yeah was thinking about using the syrup for priming the beer along with adding the coffee flavour. Thanks again, going to give this a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free