• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 03:36:09 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Curing salts

Started by Codonohoe, April 04, 2018, 09:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codonohoe

Hi all, does anyone know where I could buy curing salt in Dublin.

Will_D

There is no such thing as "curing salt"!

To dry cure bacon or other meat products like salami you use a mixture of inorganic chemicals, sugars and herbs and spices.

You don't want to read about wet curing with polyphosphates!! (that is the white slime in the pan from frying cheap bacon)

The main chemicals used to be salt (sodium chloride) and either sodium/potassium nitrate/nitrite.

Salt is just domestic cooking salt (or sea salt :)) and is essential. The nitrates/nitrites are viewed as dodgy  >:D these days. Nitrates are used in gunpowder and Nitrites are considered carcinogenic.

Just google up some curing mixes and see what you want to eat.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

phynes1

As per Will comment, saltpetre, or sodium/potassium nitrate/nitrite are considered dodgy, and cant be bought over the counter anymore in the EU.

However, for some reason you can get them int he polish shops here, they're called Sol Peklowa. Come in the thin packets like knour soup. 

I've used them a few times for spiced beef, with great success!!

Happy curing!

PH

aweisse

You also have weschenfelder in the UK

http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/bacon-curing-salt-beef/curing-salts.html

i buy from them a few times a year.

eanna

Just to be clear to anyone reading, because I suspect the OP already knows, you need nitrates/nitrites along with regular salt to prevent botulism. Nitrates/nitrites are not great over the long term, botulism is very deadly in the very short term.

Anyway, I've gotten bacon cure from Butchers-sundries off Amazon UK. I haven't gotten around to using it yet though. It also looks like Amazon now stock both Prague Powder #1 and #2 (for bacon and charcuterie respectively) which is what all the yanks over at smokingmeatforums.com seem to favor.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

eanna

Ok, long time follow up. I made one round of jerky with the cure and 1 kg of round roast, worchestershire, soy etc. It was extremely delicious. I cut against the grain, which was too tender for me. Others thought it was just right though, so personal preference definitely a factor. I didn't take any photos, because I fail as a human in this social media world we live in.

AidanMac56

I have about 2kg of saltpetre which I got from a Polish friend and you're welcome to it as I never use it. I get me curing requirements from Weschenfelder in the UK. Genuine offer 👍