• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:11:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water Profile North Dublin

Started by worems, December 20, 2019, 07:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

worems

Hi lads, new member here. I've recently started brewing and my first few brews have been ok, but I'm looking to take more control by getting more involved in Water Chemistry. I live in Howth and I have found it almost impossible to get the mineral content for the local tap water. Ive contacted Irish water but all they can give me is everything except the mineral content. Bar sending the water off to be tested myself, I've tried almost everything. 

What do other people do?
Does anyone live nearby that has this information already?
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance?

mick02

Quote from: worems on December 20, 2019, 07:46:50 AM
Hi lads, new member here. I've recently started brewing and my first few brews have been ok, but I'm looking to take more control by getting more involved in Water Chemistry. I live in Howth and I have found it almost impossible to get the mineral content for the local tap water. Ive contacted Irish water but all they can give me is everything except the mineral content. Bar sending the water off to be tested myself, I've tried almost everything. 

What do other people do?
Does anyone live nearby that has this information already?
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance?

I think you need to contact the HSE to get this info.

There is an old thread on Beoir - http://www.beoir.org/index.php/articles-mainmenu-36/brewing-knowledge/ingredients-mainmenu-44/30-irish-water-profiles that might help you out.

BTW, welcome to the club.
NHC Committee member

worems

Thanks Mick! I'll check both of those out. Appreciate it.

nigel_c

A couple of North County Brewers got the water tested a few years back. They are only a snapshot of what the water was on the day but I could be a starting point for you. I'll try find the information for you.

worems

Thanks Nigel, there's not much info on that beoir website, most of the info is from supplies that aren't near me.

Tom

Looks like you're on the Fingal supply, although without your address (which you shouldn't give out!) I can't be sure, but Howth water seems to come from Fingal.

Chloride seems consistent around 30ppm
Sulphate fluctuates between 40 & 55 ppm (which is fine)
Sodium 20, pH 7 - 7.4, Residual Chlorine <1ppm

There's no data for alkalinity (CaCO3), Calcium or Magnesium, but you don't really need magnesium and you can test for Alkalinity and Calcium with kits from Salifert (from eBay or aquarium shops).

https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/results/summary/allresults.xml?filter=1&wq-date-from=05-Mar-2018&wq-date-to=29-Oct-2019&wq-parameter=Total+Residual+Chlorine

That's just the start.

worems

Thanks a mil Tom, that's definitely a start to work from. Sorry for the late response!!

simglynn

I'm doing a similar hunt with Stillorgan. I've emailed Irish Water with a lab request. If I get any decent response I'll send you on the email address that gets back to me. Should be fairly straightforward, but after all, this is Ireland  ???

eduhZ

Hey Guys,

I live in Glasnevin so probably I have the same water source.

Alkalinity here is 4 to 6 dKH. I have aquarium and I tested yesterday it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worems

Hi All,

In case anyone is interested, I've obtained a water report for my water in Howth, Dublin North.

Calcium 82
Magnesium 7
Chloride 25
Sulphate 51
Alkalinity 172

Hopefully this can help some people as it was bugging me for months.

Seauldhwael

I normally use bottled mineral water and labeled with a list of mineral concentration on it.
After that I add all the components that are needed to reach an specific water profile.