• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:00:42 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hi

Started by pk, November 15, 2012, 07:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk

Hi all,
Just new here checking out the site. I'm new to brewing and I've only made wheatbeer and red wine in a basic kit before. Both turned out ok. I've a coopers stout from a kit bottled for christmas now. (and I'm attempting a raspberry and a blackberry gin this year too)

Maybe someday I'll move on to extract brewing although it all seems a little confusing at the moment and also I dont have the right equipment yet.

Paul

Spud395

Welcome abord Paul.

Brew what you want how you want  ;D

But if you do want help moving to different methods of brewing there is plenty of knowledge here so ask anything you want.

We're also spread all over the country so prolly someone near you if you feel like joining in on a brewday or whatever.
Non modo......sed etiam

Padraic

There are a few regional clubs being put together as well so jump in with your nearest club and you'll find some good guys to chat with and learn what you want if you decide to brew extract or even all grain.

Welcome to the club!

Will_D

November 15, 2012, 08:31:56 PM #3 Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:32:16 PM by Will_D
Quote(and I'm attempting a raspberry and a blackberry gin this year too)
Paul

Welcome to the club. I make the odd sloe gin and black cherry vodkas so do tell about the r&b gin??

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

pk

Good stuff! Brew days eh? Sounds cool.

I've made sloe gin before. I've just replaced the sloes this year with raspberries in one bottle and blackberries in another bottle. (not a mixture).

pk

Im out near Maynooth. Only a beginner.

pk

next time maybe, I only found this site this week. Can i ask is there a kit list anywhere for getting started in extract or all grain? I wouldn't have a clue about this stuff, just seen a couple of videos on youtube.
Thanks
Paul

Richie71

My advice would be to stick with the kits until you find a good 'go to' beer.  They're easy enough to make after a while especially if you're stuck for time.

Just moved from kits to extract myself and found the extract kits from the homebrew company very handy. http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/extract-beer-kits-c-164.html?zenid=994b95fc2ccc5b5b6fd5b63108dd1591

The Coopers website also has a few ideas on how to tweak a kit. http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/ale/hop-gobbler

The only extra equipment you'll need is a stock pot and a small probe thermometer.

Partridge9

+1 on the move to extract
- its makes a huge improvement - for me the move from kit to extract is more significant than moving from extract to all-grain.

johnrm

[movedhere] Brewing Chat [move by] johnrm.