• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 15, 2024, 03:35:13 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sour Saison Barrel Project

Started by fyodor, February 01, 2016, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyodor

cool,
I'm building up a few different brett strains in one culture, pedio and lacto in another, and a mix with saison, brett, lacto and loverbeer dregs in another.
Will someone brew my BOS please?

Hingo

Damn fine police work there gents

cruiscinlan

Quote from: fyodor on February 03, 2016, 11:07:41 AM
cool,
I'm building up a few different brett strains in one culture, pedio and lacto in another, and a mix with saison, brett, lacto and loverbeer dregs in another.

Wow!!  Any chance I could nab/trade some brett off you at some point?  I'm going to get some Maris Otter from HBC as well as I've to put in an order (think its only fair considering you're hosting/providing the barrel etc.).

fyodor

Hey Cruiscinlan,
Sorry about the very late reply.
I only need clean Saison from you guys, so no need to worry about the brett.

thanks,
f

fyodor

Hey all,
So the barrel has landed and I just made the last of the 70 litres of sour saison with bugs and brett and all. So... the fill date i'm thinking of is the 20th of March. I hope that suits everyone, if not we can organise dropping the brews off beforehand.
The plan would be that on that sunday morning I would drum up another 40 litres of fresh unyeasted wort to add to the barrel later that day, so we'd be talking about filling sometime around 4 in the afternoon. The barrel will be in the basement of the Behan Square apartment complex on Russel street, same street as the main entrance to Croke Park.
Please let me know if this suits.
all the best,
fionn

Frequent Sequence

Good stuff fyodor! :) I did my batch yesterday too. Hit all my numbers. my water may be a bit high in calcium but only by 20ppm.

I'm excited by the yeast/bug blend that will be in the barrel. I used WLP590 French Saison. I haven't used it before but it has excellent reviews.

Which strains did the rest of ye use? I'd like to get a list and we can work out the percentages from there.

Cheers. Seán.

fyodor

Hey Sean,
That's great, I used french saison yeast from White Labs, Belgian saison yeast from White labs, four different brett strains, pedio and lacto, all from white labs, and loverbber dregs, and crooked stave dregs.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Frequent Sequence on March 04, 2016, 02:34:32 PM

Which strains did the rest of ye use? I'd like to get a list and we can work out the percentages from there.

I've used WLP566 in my own.

Frequent Sequence

Are we still on track for Sunday the 20th? I will need a bit of advanced notice as I'm coming up from the sticks.

Cheers lads

fyodor

GlasbrewInc

I'll be late as only leaving dingle that afternoon will give you a shout once back

cruiscinlan

Are any of you lads driving to the barrel filling?  Just wondering if anyone is if I could get a lift from you with my two drums/kegs of saison?

I'm close by as I'm on Claude Road, off Whitworth Rd.  If anyone can give me a lift let me know if not I'll organise something else.

GlasbrewInc

Hi Cruiscinlan,

I'll be driving, but unsure of the time and will most likely be late evening/ night.

fyodor

It would be good to fill the barrel in one go, so we could just push back the general time to around 6 or 7? Would that suit everyone?

Frequent Sequence

I agree. Filing in one is the way to go. Six sounds good to me.