• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 14, 2024, 01:24:11 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

My first brew - Have I messed it up?

Started by thechevron, February 15, 2016, 09:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

I love watching others work and fart it's very therapeutic.

Drzava

I use the tube my hydrometer came in with no issues. A buddy got one with a slightly tighter tube though - too tight I felt, but he's using it anyway. If it doesn't touch the sides when floating it should be fine.

LordEoin

I like a tight one. if you put it in too fast you get a gush of sweet goodness out around. tasty lick lick... 

nigel_c

auralabuse

Quote from: LordEoin on February 17, 2016, 09:23:38 PM
I like a tight one. if you put it in too fast you get a gush of sweet goodness out around. tasty lick lick...
Down with that sort of thing

thechevron

So I opened it briefly to find this? Is it dead? 6 days and it looks as if nothing has happened. Can it be rescued?

nigel_c

It's all good. Most of the fermentation is probably done so it's starting to condition now. Relax. It's all good.

Leann ull

Shut that lid!, leave it another week at your ferementation temp. I mean 7 days 168 hours with out touching it, no, nope don't touch duh no discussion ;) Try and get a tight seal on the bucket. You can press the middle of the lid when its closed and that should send air through the airlock, if it doesn't you have air escaping somewhere else. sometimes at the base of the airlock, don't fiddle with it now. 

You have Krausen around the rim of the bucket so its been fermenting, its looking clear and so all the right signs so just leave it

Drzava

thechevron

Ok.  That's the one and only time I opened it. It is tight. When I push the lid I get bubbles in the airlock.

If it's dead I don't want to waste time. It says on the kit instructions I should be adding the hops Sunday. No chance of that.

Pheeel

Quote from: thechevron on February 20, 2016, 09:23:46 AM
If it's dead I don't want to waste time. It says on the kit instructions I should be adding the hops Sunday. No chance of that.
Its not dead. It looks perfectly normal. The bulk of the fermentation has finished which is why nothing appears to be happening. Add the hops Sunday
Issues with your membership? PM me!

LordEoin