• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 10:57:45 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Brewing Championships 2019

Started by mick02, April 10, 2018, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

April 10, 2018, 01:17:40 PM Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:17:52 PM by mick02
***NOTICE - The competition website database will be deleted at noon on Saturday 27th April. Please make sure that you have downloaded your scoresheets before then.***

***UPDATE - Competition website is now accepting entries. All information can be found here - https://competitions.nationalhomebrewclub.ie***

OK everyone ... this is a placeholder for the 2019 National Homebrew Chapmionships.

Feel free to post your comments/suggestions for next years competition.

The Nationals were voted on and the date set for the 2019 Nationals is Saturday March 23rd.

Here's a brewing calendar that should help you figure out the brew schedule for different styles.

"Best time to brew a Trappist Quad for 2019:
November, 2017" ©SlugTrap

NHC Committee member

Andrew

As a judge I'd give a massive thumbs up for Urban Brewing as a venue. And a big thanks to Dempsey for the glassware...
Andrew
@beoirfinder

mick02

Quote from: Andrew on April 10, 2018, 02:29:09 PM
As a judge I'd give a massive thumbs up for Urban Brewing as a venue. And a big thanks to Dempsey for the glassware...
Absolutely agree with this. Fantastic venue that was central for almost all people travelling into Dublin from afar. Also agree that it would be a shame to go back to plastic cups after having glasses this time around.
NHC Committee member

delzep

Why is the end of February set in stone?

mick02

Quote from: delzep on April 10, 2018, 03:55:02 PM

Because regardless of when in the year it is held it will always inconvenience someone. All brewers know it is held in February, some people like that they have time over the Christmas to brew, others don't. Some people would prefer the nationals to be on in the autumn so they can brew during the summer, some people go on holidays during the summer so it doesn't suit.

***Edit - it's not set in stone by the way***
NHC Committee member

Boycott

Pushing it to later in the year to April-June makes the most sense. Avoids the xmas and summer holidays problem.

delzep

Well, if its not set in stone I'd like to suggest moving it to April if possible to avoid the busy Christmas period.

Dodge

Quote from: mick02 on April 10, 2018, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: delzep on April 10, 2018, 03:55:02 PM

Because regardless of when in the year it is held it will always inconvenience someone. All brewers know it is held in February, some people like that they have time over the Christmas to brew, others don't. Some people would prefer the nationals to be on in the autumn so they can brew during the summer, some people go on holidays during the summer so it doesn't suit.

***Edit - it's not set in stone by the way***

I agree it's hard to please everyone but most people I've spoken to think it's such a bad time. Especially trying to brew over the Xmas when you have family around and other events. Personally I'd push it out later to allow clubs to have time to organize meets after the Xmas period to taste possibly member entries and allow rebrews etc.

Boycott

Some people have said that it clashes with brewcon in may (which I don't see an issue myself). Surely the best thing is to switch the two. So brewcon in Feb and use the enthusiasm from that to brew for the nationals in May.

Dodge

Quote from: Boycott on April 10, 2018, 05:05:13 PM
Some people have said that it clashes with brewcon in may (which I don't see an issue myself). Surely the best thing is to switch the two. So brewcon in Feb and use the enthusiasm from that to brew for the nationals in May.

Very good idea. Having it in May

DEMPSEY

maybe best put up a poll to see what people think.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

mick02

Quote from: DEMPSEY on April 10, 2018, 05:55:32 PM
maybe best put up a poll to see what people think.
Good idea... I'll sort the poll out when I get to a computer.
NHC Committee member

Dr Jacoby

Brewcon could also be in in the Autumn.
Every little helps

Hingo

Quote from: Dodge on April 10, 2018, 05:14:04 PM
Quote from: Boycott on April 10, 2018, 05:05:13 PM

Very good idea. Having it in May

+1 fwiw

mick02

Have added poll. It will run for 60 days. All results kept hidden until poll finishes. P.S. the results of this poll do not automatically mean a change in dates for the nationals.
NHC Committee member