• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 01:00:58 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Back to Kits

Started by RobShamrock, October 09, 2018, 03:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobShamrock

Had to take a break from the All Grain due to time constraints so back to kits as supplies running dangerously low

These due shortly and will be doing a double brew day to get thinks rolling quick as I can

Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Lemon Sour
Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Red IPA
Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Rye IPA
Festival Razorback IPA Kit

Did the Razorback before in June just gone and it was an absolute stunner for a kit so looking probably throw that on in first batch found it was ready to drink fairly quickly too, Not sure which of the others I'll do at same time

But all the Craft Series look real interesting

wartotojas

You, sir, just gave me a great idea.  ;D

I am in exact same situation, had to park up my Grainfather for a while, so might look back at few kits.

LordEoin

Also in the same boat.
no time to brew just now, so throwing on a Coopers kit hack to fill a keg for Christmas.

i think the Kits section might see a bit of a bump in content for a while :D

RobShamrock

All arrived yesterday great service as usual from HomeBrew Co.

On Saturday, will throw on the Razorback, and I think the Sour,   Still have about dozen bottles Razorback left and a few of last years AG Stout (which I think has become overcarbed) so hopefully enough to keep me going

wartotojas

Just ordered few kits from HBC.

Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Pink Grapefruit IPA.
I did few MJ cider kits for missus so hope beer kits will be no disappointment.

and picked up Coopers Mexican Cerveza that I plan to ferment with W34/70 and use RO water. I was never able to get a decent lager all-grain for various reasons, just want to see if I can make anything reasonable from the kit  ;D

LordEoin

if you're looking for a semi decent kit lager, try Coopers Pilsner with saflager 34/70 or your choice of lager yeast.
a bit of carapils and saaz will improve it too

Impaler

Im thinking to join kit brewing forces too.
No time for proper brew day.
It seems Mangrove Jack's Craft Series is pretty popular amongst homebrewers, is there any other companies worth looking into?
Cheers

RobShamrock

Got the Razorback mixed and tucked up, Will Try to do the MJ one tonight, missus wont be happy as that will have to reside in the sun room and not out in the shed, so hopefully wont smell too bad

wartotojas

Quote from: LordEoin on October 14, 2018, 07:51:29 PM
if you're looking for a semi decent kit lager, try Coopers Pilsner with saflager 34/70 or your choice of lager yeast.
a bit of carapils and saaz will improve it too

thanks for advice. I am not picky at all when it comes to lagers. Picked Cerveza as I intend to split the batch before bottling and infuse part of it with some tequila just for a crack.

LordEoin

wartotojas

Quote from: LordEoin on October 16, 2018, 10:46:39 AM
desperado style!  ;D

Exactly  :) seen it on one of the UK forums, adding tequila and lemon+lime juice before bottling, so I thought why not ;D

Slev

RobShamrock - I see you have the heating belt very high on your fermenter (in the head space area).  Haven't seen that done before. Do you do this to avoid applying too much direct heat? Or....?
Where is your temp sensor ? (guessing that's an inkbird reflection in the grain basket) Looks like it's to the outer of the sponge, or stuck through the sponge on the head space area. Again, haven't seen this done before. Does it work well?

CH

In the extremes of winter I use a couple of suspended heat belts if I want to hit 22-25 as the 40w element in the conservatory heater can't cut it at 2 degrees ambient.
The lower down the belt on the bucket the higher the beer temp just don't cook trub

RobShamrock

Yeah, its on inkbird, always had good success with it relatively high up , if temps get really cold in shed probably lower, I've glasshouse tube heater been meaning to wire it up for over a year.  Temp sensor is under the yellow sponge.

She's bubbling away nicely fine krausen on it, I dont bother with airlock just tape over hole, started within the 24hrs

RobShamrock

Brought razorback in from shed this morning, will dry hop tonight, and bottling sunday, will try throw on the MJ  kit  or possibly kits
Sunday too